Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Fintan's Church,Cill Dhonnaig

A Scheduled Monument in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6128 / 56°36'46"N

Longitude: -5.9702 / 5°58'12"W

OS Eastings: 156490

OS Northings: 753823

OS Grid: NM564538

Mapcode National: GBR CCN7.D58

Mapcode Global: WGZD7.81BW

Entry Name: St Fintan's Church,Cill Dhonnaig

Scheduled Date: 8 February 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5574

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Morvern

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of St Fintan's church, one of the two medieval churches of Morvern. The name Killintag (Cill Leuntaig- the church of Fintan), misappropriated to the chapel at Killundine, is likely to apply to this site. The church dedicated to St Fintan is marked on an estate plan of 1770, but probably fell out of use after 1780 when a new building was erected to the S at Ferinish.

The church, situated in an old burial ground and virtually reduced to its foundations measures 23.2m E-W by 7.5m overall with walls 1m thick. A portion of the S wall extending some 6m from the E end remains to a height of 0.9m. Several plain grave-markers of considerable age lie within the church foundations.

The area to be scheduled is rectangular, extending 2m from the exterior walls of the church, measuring a maximum of 27.2m WNW-ESE by 11.5m NNE-SSW, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it has been identified as one of the two medieval churches of Morvern. In addition to providing evidence for the parish evolution of the area and it probably overlies an earlier foundation, and could provide evidence, through historical research and archaeological excavation, which may increase our understanding of ecclesiastical architecture, early church dedications, late medieval sculpture, and material culture in Scotland during the period of its construction and use.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NM 55 SE 2.

References:

Mackinlay J M, Ancient Church Dedications in Scotland, 71.

RCAHMS 1975, Inventory for Lorn, No. 269, 133-4.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.