Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Creag Madaidh Mor,mine 1050m WNW of Glenmoine

A Scheduled Monument in Mid Argyll, Argyll and Bute

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1443 / 56°8'39"N

Longitude: -5.5116 / 5°30'41"W

OS Eastings: 181947

OS Northings: 700174

OS Grid: NM819001

Mapcode National: GBR DDSG.S5L

Mapcode Global: WH0HQ.9TNL

Entry Name: Creag Madaidh Mor,mine 1050m WNW of Glenmoine

Scheduled Date: 9 December 1992

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5490

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: mines, quarries

Location: Kilmartin

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Mid Argyll

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

This disused copper mine, now consisting of a store house, spoil heap and two adits, is situated on the NW flank of Creag Madaidh Mor, and is largely covered with a forestry plantation. The mine was 'wrought upon for some years' in the 18th century, when it belonged to the Campbells of Kilmartin, but it was abandoned 'some time' before 1793.

At the NW end of the site are the stone footings of a small

rectangular drystone building (5.6m by 4.4m within 0.8m walls up to 1.5m in height) which is likely to have been a store house or smithy. Samples of ore from here gave a rich yield of 30% copper according to the 1921 Geological Survey. To the SE of here, at the foot of the valley (where a ride runs through the plantation), is a prominent grass-covered spoil-heap (about 17.5m from NNW to SSE by 15m and 2.5-3m high).

Further to the SE, set into the steep tree-covered slope, are two adits, one above the other. The lower one has a rubble entrance-arch and the first 8m is rubble vaulted; the passage curves slightly and is about 42m long. The upper adit, about 20m higher up the hillside, is entirely rock-cut and up to 2.6m in height. About 10m from the mouth it is interrupted by a shaft about 4m by 2m and 7m in depth, beyond which the adit continues for some distance, with two short side-passages.

Both adits are now blocked by modern metal grilles, placed here by the Forestry Commission in the interest of safety.

The area to be scheduled is rectangular on plan and measures 120m from NW to SE by 55m transversely to include the building, all associated mine workings and an area around in which associated remains may survive, as marked in red on the attached map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it is a well-preserved example of a small eighteenth century mine, apparently short-lived, which has the potential to provide information about contemporary industrial practice and economy. There is also the possibility of the rare survival of evidence for prehistoric working.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.