Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caledonian Canal, Gairlochy Locks, lighthouse and signal lamp

A Scheduled Monument in Caol and Mallaig, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.915 / 56°54'54"N

Longitude: -4.9923 / 4°59'32"W

OS Eastings: 217934

OS Northings: 784396

OS Grid: NN179843

Mapcode National: GBR GB1F.XMP

Mapcode Global: WH2GK.8GY7

Entry Name: Caledonian Canal, Gairlochy Locks, lighthouse and signal lamp

Scheduled Date: 13 April 1992

Last Amended: 31 August 1996

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5294

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Kilmallie

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Caol and Mallaig

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Description

The monument comprises that stretch of inland waterway known as the Caledonian Canal running from the upper lock at Gairlochy north-east to Loch Lochy.

The area to be scheduled includes all the canal in water and the strip of ground extending up to 20 m from the water on either side and containing the towpaths and embankments and any associated capstans, bollards, mooring hooks, mile posts, weirs and overflows.

The scheduled area includes the following structures: upper lock; lower lock; signal lamp; lighthouse; but excludes the modern lock gates and their hydraulic control gear, the road swing bridge, all modern moorings, pontoons, piers, slipways, walls and fences, power cables, lampposts and other street furniture. The scheduled area is marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

This proposal is an extension to the scheduling: Caledonian Canal, Gairlochy Locks, to include not just the locks themselves but the stretches of canal between them and to their north-east. This extended scheduling also includes the signal lamp, previously scheduled separately as Gairlochy Signal Lamp.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a significant part of the Caledonian Canal, built between 1803 and 1822. It is scheduled as part of a programme of protection also involving listing of buildings. The canal was designed by Thomas Telford and financed directly by Government. It set new standards in the scale of its locks.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.