Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hirendean Castle

A Scheduled Monument in Midlothian South, Midlothian

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7492 / 55°44'57"N

Longitude: -3.1198 / 3°7'11"W

OS Eastings: 329808

OS Northings: 651218

OS Grid: NT298512

Mapcode National: GBR 61NY.CW

Mapcode Global: WH6TM.1RNF

Entry Name: Hirendean Castle

Scheduled Date: 17 February 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5608

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: castle

Location: Temple

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian South

Traditional County: Midlothian

Description

The monument consists of the remains of Hirendean Castle, a small keep of 16th-century date.

The building is situated at the base of the Moorfoot Hills. Only the S wall and part of the W gable remain upstanding. These portions indicate the building had at least three storeys, the lowest of which was vaulted. Traces of the N wall survive, though most of it has fallen into an amorphous pile.

The overall dimensions of the castle appear to have been approximately 12m E-W by 8m N-S. The masonry is composed of irregularly-coursed rubble, the long and short quoins are undressed. There are traces of out building to the S of the castle and small field enclosures to the N and W.

The area to be scheduled is irregular, measuring a maximum of 130m E- W by 90m N-S, to include the castle and an area where further related features are likely to survive, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its longstanding relationship with the Abbey of Newbattle: the lands of 'Herringden' belonged to the Abbey of Newbattle. Eventually they passed to the Earl of Lothian, Lord Newbattle. The ownership was confirmed in 1620 by a charter to Robert, Earl of Lothian including 'Herendene cum fortalico'. As an example of a reasonably well documented building, it has the potential, through a combination of research and excavation, to increase our understanding of late Medieval defensive architecture, settlement history, domestic activity and pre-improvement land use and tenure during the period of its construction and use.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NT 25 SE 2.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.