Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Standingstone,enclosure 400m NNE of

A Scheduled Monument in Dunbar and East Linton, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9576 / 55°57'27"N

Longitude: -2.6776 / 2°40'39"W

OS Eastings: 357789

OS Northings: 674051

OS Grid: NT577740

Mapcode National: GBR 2W.XQCF

Mapcode Global: WH7TZ.VJ45

Entry Name: Standingstone,enclosure 400m NNE of

Scheduled Date: 25 April 1994

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5965

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric domestic and defensive: enclosure (domestic or defensive)

Location: Prestonkirk

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Dunbar and East Linton

Traditional County: East Lothian

Description

Datd 1734, entrance tower at re-entrant dated 1898, further modern additions. 2-storey, L-plan house made irregular-plan by modern additions. Harled rubble, grey slate roof. Plate glass sash and case windows, coped skews at crowstepped gables at E and W, coped gable stacks.

E ELEVATION: 2-storey entrance tower at right re-entrant, 2-leaf door with moulded doorcase, date panel at 1st floor, finialled bartizan, 2 sets of paired windows at right return ground floor, paired and bipartite at 1st; bay recessed at right with windows at ground and 1st foor; bay advanced at left with window at ground floor right.

S ELEVATION: 2-storey lowered bipartite windows at right with band course at 1st floor and eaves course, 2 windows at ground and 1st floor left (1 ground window very small), window at ground floor far left (2 others blocked) with tripartite at 1st, corbelled to gable at wallhead with heraldic panel and finial; decayed paired heraldic motifs at skewputts.

N GABLE: ground floor masked by modern aditions, window at 1st floor right.

W ELEVATION: ground floor masked by modern additions, 2 wiindows at 1st floor left.

INTERIOR: panelled entrance porch, newel staircase with barley sugar cast-iron balusters; inscription '1734. RSH' on W wall of SW corner ground floor room; balustrade and coomb ceiling at 1st floor.

BOUNDARY WALL: rubble wall at S and E.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to add to our understanding of settlement organisation and economy in the period of Roman influence in southern Scotland. The monument may also be expected to contribute to our understanding of the organisation of the prehistoric landscape focussed on the major centre of Traprain Law.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Enid Gauldie, 'Mechanical Aids to Linen Bleaching in Scotland', TEXTILE HISTORY, nd, pp 132-3, Dundee Public Library; Enid Gauldie, 'Scottish Bleachfields 1718-1867', B.Phil dissertation, University of Dundee, 1967; John Shaw, WATER POWER IN SCOTLAND 1550-1870 (1984#, p 223; Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE, (1774), vIV, p 144; Alexander J Warden, THE LINEN TRADE, ANCIENT AND MODERN (1867), 2nd ed, p 448.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.