Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forth and Clyde Canal: Bowling - Old Kilpatrick

A Scheduled Monument in Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9298 / 55°55'47"N

Longitude: -4.483 / 4°28'58"W

OS Eastings: 244970

OS Northings: 673536

OS Grid: NS449735

Mapcode National: GBR 0Q.ZDVH

Mapcode Global: WH3NS.36HY

Entry Name: Forth and Clyde Canal: Bowling - Old Kilpatrick

Scheduled Date: 22 April 1997

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6779

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Old Kilpatrick

County: West Dunbartonshire

Electoral Ward: Dumbarton

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Description

The monument comprises that length of waterway forming part of the Forth and Clyde Canal falling within the boundary of the civil parish of Old Kilpatrick and the boundary of Dumbarton District.

The length of the monument is approximately 700m and runs from Bowling Harbour (on the west) to the western edge of Old Kilpatrick (on the east). The monument includes the entire length of canal in water together with the banks on either side and the towing path running along one side. In addition, the monument includes the following canal structures:

[1] The harbour walls, locks 39 and 40 and the lower canal basin at Bowling Harbour;

[2] The bascule bridge immediately to the west of the upper canal basin, the upper canal basin itself and lock 38;

[3] Tinkers Burn Aqueduct;

The monument does not include the late 19th-century railway viaduct between the upper and lower canal basins, or existing (modern) fences and walls, but does include an area to either side of the area in water in which traces of activities associated with its construction and use may survive, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because, as an integral part of the Forth and Clyde Canal, it is a superlative example of Georgian civil engineering. It was the first of Scotland's great inland waterways to be constructed (between 1768 and 1790) and even at the time of its opening in the 1770s it was christened 'The Great Canal', a recognition of its undoubted national importance even then. The particular stretch of canal covered by this scheduling was part of a scheme to extend the canal westward from its original terminus at Stockingfield, in Glasgow. The engineer was Robert Whitworth.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

References:

Hume, J. (1976) The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland: The Lowlands and Borders.

Lindsay, J. (1968) The Canals of Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.