Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forth and Clyde Canal: Old Kilpatrick - Linnvale

A Scheduled Monument in Clydebank Waterfront, West Dunbartonshire

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9106 / 55°54'38"N

Longitude: -4.4328 / 4°25'57"W

OS Eastings: 248034

OS Northings: 671288

OS Grid: NS480712

Mapcode National: GBR 3K.0MDB

Mapcode Global: WH3NS.WPBP

Entry Name: Forth and Clyde Canal: Old Kilpatrick - Linnvale

Scheduled Date: 16 December 1997

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6778

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Old Kilpatrick

County: West Dunbartonshire

Electoral Ward: Clydebank Waterfront

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Description

Later 19th century. 2-storey 3-bay house with overhanging eaves and decorative conservatory. Squared and snecked dressed sandstone, harl-pointed to sides and rear; ashlar dressings. Chamfered arrises; ashlar mullions; 1st floor windows breaking eaves with gabled dormerheads; exposed rafters, moulded bargeboards and purlins.

S (FRONT) ELEVATION: base course. Roll-moulded doorpiece at centre with consoled cornice; 2-leaf panelled door with rectangular plate glass fanlight. Tripartite window to left; canted window to right with piended roof. 1st floor windows bipartite; finials to dormerheads.

CONSERVATORY: projecting to right with canted end, stained glass, and ogee-roofed cupola terminating gabled ventilator range running longitudinally to rear; door to front.

W ELEVATION: jerkin-headed porch at ground with flush-panelled door and letterbox fanlight to S return; window to left.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular 5-bay; centre bay with later rendered projection at ground; stair window above. Windows to all bays at ground and 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: largely masked by conservatory at ground; window to right.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Jerkin-headed roof; grey slates. Brick stacks with corbelled cornice; octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwaterheads and downpipes between each bay to front.

INTERIOR: not seen 1993.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEWAY: tall dressed rubble boundary walls; ashlar pedestrian gateway at centre with Tudor-arched doorway, chamfered reveals and gabletted coping; boarded door with elaborate wrought-iron hinges.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because, as an integral part of the Forth and Clyde Canal, it is a superlative example of Georgian civil engineering. It was the first of Scotland's great inland waterways to be constructed (between 1768 and 1790) and even at the time of its opening in the 1770s it was christened 'The Great Canal', a recognition of its undoubted national importance even then. The particular stretch of canal covered by this scheduling was part of a scheme to extend the canal westward from its original western terminus at Stockingfield, in Glasgow. The engineer was Robert Whitworth.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.