Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forth and Clyde Canal: Blairdardie Road - Netherton Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Drumchapel/Anniesland, Glasgow City

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9044 / 55°54'15"N

Longitude: -4.338 / 4°20'16"W

OS Eastings: 253930

OS Northings: 670392

OS Grid: NS539703

Mapcode National: GBR 013.Q5

Mapcode Global: WH3NV.BVHH

Entry Name: Forth and Clyde Canal: Blairdardie Road - Netherton Farm

Scheduled Date: 22 April 1997

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6775

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: New Kilpatrick

County: Glasgow City

Electoral Ward: Drumchapel/Anniesland

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Description

The monument comprises that length of inland waterway forming part of the Forth and Clyde Canal falling within the boundary of the civil parish of New Kilpatrick and the boundary of Bearsden and Milngavie District.

The length of the monument is 1 mile (1.6 km) and runs from a point 300 m east of Blairdardie Road (on the west) to Netherton Farm (on the east). The monument includes the entire length in water together with the banks on either side and the towing path running along one side. In addition, the monument includes the following canal

structures:

[1! Lock 30;

[2! Lock 29;

[3! Lock 28;

The monument does not include any (modern) fences or walls, the Westerton subway aqueduct or the Westerton Footbridge, but does include an area to either side of the area in water in which traces of activities associated with its construction and use may survive, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because, as an integral part of the Forth and Clyde canal, it is a superlative example of Georgian civil engineering. It was the first of Scotland's great inland waterways to be constructed (between 1768 and 1790) and even at the time of its opening in the 1770s it was christened 'The Great Canal', a recognition of its undoubted national importance even then. The particular stretch of canal covered by this scheduling was part of a terminus at Stockingfield, in Glasgow. The engineer was Robert Whitworth.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

References:

Hume, J. (1976) The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland: The Lowlands and Borders.

Lindsay, J. (1968) The Canals of Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.