Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forth and Clyde Canal: Bishopbriggs - Kirkintilloch

A Scheduled Monument in Bishopbriggs North and Campsie, East Dunbartonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9314 / 55°55'52"N

Longitude: -4.2042 / 4°12'15"W

OS Eastings: 262392

OS Northings: 673117

OS Grid: NS623731

Mapcode National: GBR 11.Z9GZ

Mapcode Global: WH4Q1.D57S

Entry Name: Forth and Clyde Canal: Bishopbriggs - Kirkintilloch

Scheduled Date: 22 April 1997

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6770

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Cadder

County: East Dunbartonshire

Electoral Ward: Bishopbriggs North and Campsie

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Description

The monument comprises that length of waterway forming part of the Forth and Clyde Canal falling within the boundary of the civil parish of Cadder and the boundary of Strathkelvin District.

The length of the monument is approximately 4 miles (6 km) and runs from just west of Bishopbriggs Sports Centre (on the west) to Westermains, Kirkintilloch (on the east). The monument includes the entire length of canal in water together with the banks on either side and the towing path running along one side.

The monument does not include either the Balmuildy Road Bridge, or the Cadder Road Bridge, or the Hungryside Road Bridge, or the culvert at Glasgow Road, Cadder, or any existing (modern) fences and walls, but does include an area to either side of the area in water in which traces of activities associated with its construction and use may survive, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because, as an integral part of the Forth and Clyde canal, it is a superlative example of Georgian engineering. It was the first of Scotland's great inland waterways to be constructed (between 1768 and 1790) and even at the time of its opening in the 1770s it was christened 'The Great Canal', a recognition of its undoubted national importance even then. The particular stretch of canal covered by this scheduling was part of the original scheme. The engineer was John Smeaton.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

References:

Hume, J. (1976) The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland: The Lowlands and Borders.

Lindsay, J. (1968) The Canals of Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.