Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gearraidh Bhailteas (Garryvaltos),settlement 250m NNE of Milton House

A Scheduled Monument in Barraigh, Bhatarsaigh, Eirisgeigh agus Uibhist a Deas, Na h-Eileanan Siar

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.2125 / 57°12'45"N

Longitude: -7.4101 / 7°24'36"W

OS Eastings: 73512

OS Northings: 826507

OS Grid: NF735265

Mapcode National: GBR 893N.DPJ

Mapcode Global: WGV3X.4ZM5

Entry Name: Gearraidh Bhailteas (Garryvaltos),settlement 250m NNE of Milton House

Scheduled Date: 22 February 1994

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5902

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: settlement, including deserted, depopulated and townships

Location: South Uist

County: Na h-Eileanan Siar

Electoral Ward: Barraigh, Bhatarsaigh, Eirisgeigh agus Uibhist a Deas

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a Medieval settlement, possibly incorporating the ruins of a church, situated on a slight knoll.

The site at Gearraidh Bhailteas is known to have been cleared by 1836. It existed as a substantial township in 1498. It may have had a church in the earlier Medieval period, although this does not appear to have survived into the 15th century. The visible remains take the form of the stone lower walls and footings of some twelve sub-rectangular buildings and three enclosures, all set on a slight rise in otherwise ill-drained ground.

The sequence is hard to determine, but appears to begin with three enclosures, then two or three long, bowed-walled houses (perhaps of Norse type), followed by a possible rectangular church and two associated buildings, then two small shieling-like buildings and finally a group of "blackhouse"-type farm buildings. A number of small structures cannot be tied into even this sequence.

The area to be scheduled is a square of side 100m, oriented N-S, to include all of the remains on the knoll and an area around in which further structures and other evidence associated with the construction, devlopment and use of the monument may survive, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a document Medieval settlement which has not been obliterated by more recent buildings, and as such has the potential to provide valuable information about the origins and development of Medieval rural settlement. If the suspected ecclesiastical elements are accepted, then it also has a considerable potential to provide information about the physical attributes of structures associated with the origin of the Medieval parochial system, spanning the period from the Lordship of the Isles to the unification with Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.