This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9446 / 50°56'40"N
Longitude: -2.1309 / 2°7'51"W
OS Eastings: 390898.81726
OS Northings: 116131.375759
OS Grid: ST908161
Mapcode National: GBR 1YC.N2W
Mapcode Global: FRA 66FM.1N2
Entry Name: Linear boundary 870m south west of Spring Farm
Scheduled Date: 12 July 1961
Last Amended: 23 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1020729
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33567
Civil Parish: Ashmore
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Ashmore St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
The monument includes a linear boundary extending from south west to north
east across a gentle south facing slope on Cranborne Chase.
The boundary survives as a well-preserved earthwork 80m long and has a
ditch, 4m wide and 0.5m deep, with a bank, 6m wide and up to 0.6m high on
its south side. The central and eastern sections have been reduced in
height and spread by ploughing over the years. At the eastern the end the
boundary now visible as a low earthwork while in the central area there
are no visible remains, although the ditch will survive as a buried
feature. it is now visible as a low earthwork while in the central area
there are no visible remains, although the ditch will survive as a buried
Sections of a similar linear boundary earthwork 1.05km to the north west
are the subject of a separate scheduling. The boundary has not been
positively identified within the intervening area either on the ground or
on aerial photographs and consequently this area is not included in the
A prehistoric field system was noted on aerial photographs taken in 1947
and 1954 but by 1978 the Ordnance Survey recorded that there was no
visible trace of this and it is also not included in the scheduling.
All fence posts are excluded from the scheduling although the ground
beneath these features is included.
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
Source: Historic England
Cranborne Chase is an area of chalkland well known for its high number,
density and diversity of archaeological remains. These include a rare
combination of Neolithic and Early Bronze Age sites, comprising one of the
largest concentrations of burial monuments in England, the largest known
cursus (a linear ritual monument) and a significant number and range of
henge monuments (Late Neolithic ceremonial centres). Other important
remains include a variety of enclosures, settlements, field systems and
linear boundaries which date throughout prehistory and into the
Romano-British and medieval periods. This high level of survival of
archaeological remains is due largely to the later history of the Chase.
Cranborne Chase formed a Royal Hunting Ground from at least Norman times,
and much of the archaeological survival within the area resulted from
associated laws controlling land-use which applied until 1830. The unique
archaeological character of the Chase has attracted much attention over
the years, notably during the later 19th century, by the pioneering work
on the Chase of General Pitt-Rivers, Sir Richard Colt Hoare and Edward
Cunnington, often regarded as the fathers of British archaeology.
Archaeological investigations have continued throughout the 20th century
and to the present day.
Linear boundaries are substantial earthwork features comprising single or
multiple ditches and banks which may extend over distances varying between
less than 1km to over 10km. They survive as earthworks or as linear
features visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, or as a combination
of both. The evidence of excavation and study of associated monuments
demonstrate that their construction spans the millennium from the Middle
Bronze Age, although they may have been reused later. The scale of many
linear boundaries has been taken to indicate that they were constructed by
large social groups and were used to mark important boundaries in the
landscape, their impressive scale displaying the corporate prestige of
their builders. They would have been powerful symbols, often with
religious associations, used to define and order the territorial holdings
of the groups responsible for their construction. Linear earthworks occur
quite widely across parts of Cranborne Chase and together, these are of
considerable importance for the analysis of settlement and land use in the
Bronze Age. All well-preserved examples are, therefore, considered to be
of national importance and will merit statutory protection.
Cranborne Chase is an area of central southern England which includes
parts of Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire. This area of chalkland is well
known for a high number and diversity of archaeological sites. These
include a unique range of Neolithic and Early Bronze Age features,
comprising one of the largest concentrations of barrows within England, the
largest known cursus in England and a significant number and range of
henge monuments. Other important remains include a wide variety of
enclosures, settlements, field systems and linear boundaries which date
throughout prehistory, the Romano-British and medieval periods. The
importance of this archaeology is further enhanced by the occurrence of
many monuments as rare survivals often with unusual associations. From at
least Norman times, Cranborne Chase formed a Royal hunting ground and much
of the archaeological survival within the area resulted from the laws
which were applied until 1830. The unique archaeological character of The
Chase has attracted much interest and research. During the later 19th
century important contributions were made by General Pitt Rivers, Sir
Richard Colt-Hoare and Edward Cunnington who are often regarded as the
'fathers' of British archaeology. Their research resulted in significant
advances in excavation technique, recording methods and archaeological
interpretation and their pioneering achievement owed much to the
archaeology of Cranborne Chase. The linear boundary 900m south west of
Spring Farm lies within Cranborne Chase. It is one of two scheduled
sections which may be part of the same boundary extending over a distance
of about 2.2km. It will contain archaeological deposits providing
information relating to later prehistoric land use and environment.
Source: Historic England
Other nearby scheduled monuments