This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2215 / 52°13'17"N
Longitude: -1.4782 / 1°28'41"W
OS Eastings: 435742.15862
OS Northings: 258267.340105
OS Grid: SP357582
Mapcode National: GBR 6PC.R2V
Mapcode Global: VHBXY.BFDC
Entry Name: Moated site and medieval settlement remains at Church End, 600m east of Ewefields Farm
Scheduled Date: 23 August 1954
Last Amended: 18 September 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1020260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35105
Civil Parish: Chesterton and Kingston
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Chesterton St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of the medieval
settlement, moated site and fishponds at Church End, Chesterton. A hamlet
known as Church End is mentioned in medieval documents and may represent the
earliest medieval settlement in the parish. The earliest material in St Giles
Church dates from the 12th century, but it may stand on the site of an earlier
building. Church End is first recorded in documents of 1287 and buildings
survived here until the 19th century. The settlement remains surround St Giles
Church and include the remains of a small moated manorial site and a string of
fishponds to the north of the church. The moated site includes a sub-
rectangular moat, which is best preserved on the north and west side having
been partially infilled during the 1980s on its southern side. Foundations for
two stone bridge abutments were recorded during the 1960s, although these are
no longer visible. Cultivation of the area just west of the moat in 1984
revealed the stone foundations of an extensive and high status building. The
fishponds include at least two linear ponds orientated north east to south
west, and records suggest that there was originally a chain of four ponds
which may later have been landscaped into the grounds of the later mansion. To
the north of the ponds is a substantial leat, with a large linear bank on its
southern side; both features are orientated north east to south west and
measure at least 50m long. These are believed to represent the site of an
early water mill.
Documents suggest that John Peyto rebuilt the manor near the church during
1470. It was then abandoned by the family around 1650 and replaced by a
classical mansion of three stories located on the crest of the hill to the
north. The later mansion was destroyed in the 19th century. A small hamlet
associated with the manor existed to the south of the moated site and the
church, at least three building platforms of which can be seen lying between
Church Lane and the modern fishing pool. The creation of the pool is
considered to have destroyed further settlement remains and this area is not
included in the scheduling.
St Giles Church, the churchwarden's cottage and the northern half of the
church cemetery are totally excluded from the scheduling, both above and below
ground. The southern half of the church cemetery and the gardens of the
churchwarden's cottage are, however, included.
All fences, modern surfaces, all the tombs and headstones including three
examples Listed Grade II, the churchyard wall and the Listed Grade II* brick
built gateway on the northern side of the cemetery, are all excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
Source: Historic England
Medieval rural settlements in England were marked by great regional diversity
in form, size and type, and the protection of their archaeological remains
needs to take these differences into account. To do this, England has been
divided into three broad Provinces on the basis of each area's distinctive
mixture of nucleated and dispersed settlements. These can be further divided
into sub-Provinces and local regions, possessing characteristics which have
gradually evolved during the past 1500 years or more.
This monument lies in the Inner Midlands sub-Province of the Central Province,
an area characterised by large numbers of nucleated settlements, both
surviving and deserted, many of which are thought to have been established in
Anglo-Saxon times. Most of the sub-Province's thinly scattered dispersed
settlements were created in post-medieval times, but some of the local regions
are characterised by higher proportions of dispersed dwellings and hamlets,
which probably mark the patchy survival of older landscapes.
The remains of the medieval settlement, moat and fishponds at Church End
survive well as earthwork and buried features around the church. Remains of
houses and outbuildings as well as gardens and allotments will demonstrate the
size and status of this part of the medieval settlement and will include
evidence for the occupations of the people who lived there. Buried artefacts
will provide dating evidence for the development and decline of the
settlement, as well as information about the daily life and wealth of the
inhabitants. The waterlogged sections of the moat and fishponds will preserve
buried environmental evidence which will illustrate the diet and health of the
population as well as providing information about the medieval agricultural
regime and the surrounding natural environment.
The cemetery is believed to include burials of much of the local rural
population from the medieval period onwards. It will therefore provide
information about the health, vitality and mortality rates within the
population over time. The remains of the field system, roads and boundaries
will provide evidence for the wider landscape setting, communication network
and rural environment surrounding the settlement.
Source: Historic England
Other nearby scheduled monuments