Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Medieval settlement remains immediately south east of Hutton Hall

A Scheduled Monument in Hutton Magna, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.507 / 54°30'25"N

Longitude: -1.8074 / 1°48'26"W

OS Eastings: 412569.181439

OS Northings: 512430.81408

OS Grid: NZ125124

Mapcode National: GBR HJTB.H4

Mapcode Global: WHC5S.6ZL6

Entry Name: Medieval settlement remains immediately south east of Hutton Hall

Scheduled Date: 18 July 2000

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1019282

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32761

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Hutton Magna

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Hutton Magna St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Details

This monument includes buried and earthwork remains of part of the medieval
settlement of Hutton Magna, situated to the north, south and west of the
present churchyard and immediately south east of the manor house known as
Hutton Hall. The settlement is visible as the remains of a series of
rectangular buildings of long house form, placed around parts of three sides
of an open space, interpreted as a large, roughly rectangular village green.
More than one phase of settlement is believed to be represented by the remains
at Hutton Magna.
At the time of the Domesday Survey in 1086, Hutton Magna, then known as Hotune
or Huttone, was described as having six geld carucates (plough teams). In a
document of 1254 the manor contained a capital messuage, dovecote, brewhouse
and a water mill.
The rectangular buildings are visible as three discrete groups of earthworks
interpreted as the foundations of medieval long houses, associated yards and
enclosures. The first and most northerly group of rectangular earthworks lie
immediately north of the churchyard and face onto the north eastern corner of
the green; they are visible as the remains of at least seven rectangular
platforms measuring on average 14m by 7m and standing to a maximum height of
0.5m. Several of the long houses are divided into two compartments. The second
group of rectangular earthworks lie 130m south of the first group, immediately
south of the churchyard where they face onto the eastern side of the village
green; they are visible as the remains of at least two rectangular platforms,
divided into more than one compartment and of similar size and proportions to
the first group. The third group of rectangular earthworks lie 130m west of
the churchyard and include the remains of at least two further rectangular
platforms facing onto the western side of the green; a linear bank of stone
and earth which bounds the buildings at their rear is interpreted as a later
feature.
A further two rectangular buildings are situated on the village green in a
central position at Ordnance Survey grid reference NZ 1258 1237 facing onto
the south side of a hollow way. The hollow way enters the green at the south
west corner where it continues the line of the modern main road from Lane
Head; it extends to the south west corner of the churchyard as a prominent
earthwork, at which point it has become infilled by the construction of the
graveyard. Beyond the churchyard to the east of the medieval settlement the
line of the hollow way continues as a lane which remains in use today.
The south eastern part of the village green is overlain by a series of earthen
banks measuring a maximum of 0.6m wide and standing up to 0.5m high; the banks
divide this area into a series of narrow linear fields interpreted as
post-medieval in date.
All fences and gate posts, the electricity posts and the wooden fences
enclosing trees are excluded from the scheduling; however, the ground beneath
these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Medieval rural settlements in England were marked by great regional diversity
in form, size and type, and the protection of their archaeological remains
needs to take these differences into account. To do this, England has been
divided into three broad Provinces on the basis of each area's distinctive
mixture of nucleated and dispersed settlements. These can be further divided
into sub-Provinces and local regions, possessing characteristics which have
gradually evolved during the past 1500 years or more.
The Yorkshire Dales local region is broadly an extension of the lowlands into
the hill mass of the Pennines, but increasing environmental constraints have
ensured that each dale has developed particular and often wholly local
characteristics. The villages and hamlets on the valley side terraces of the
lower and middle dales appear to be of medieval foundation, while the
surrounding farmstead sites vary greatly in date, from early medieval to 19th
century.

Medieval villages were organised agricultural communities, sited at the centre
of a parish or township, that shared resources such as arable land, meadow and
woodland. Village plans varied enormously, but when they survive as earthworks
their most distinguishing features include roads and minor tracks, platforms
on which stood houses and other buildings such as barns, enclosed crofts and
small enclosed paddocks. They frequently included the parish church within
their boundaries, and as part of the manorial system most villages included
one or more manorial centres which may also survive as visible remains as well
as below ground deposits. In the Central Province of England, villages were
the most distinctive aspect of medieval life, and their archaeological remains
are one of the most important sources of understanding about rural life in the
five or more centuries following the Norman Conquest.
The medieval settlement of Hutton Magna is well preserved and retains
significant archaeological deposits. The settlement is a good example of its
type and will contribute to our knowledge and understanding of medieval
settlement in the region.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Yorkshire: North Riding: Volume I, (1914), 84-5
Other
1212/01-2, Tees Archaeology, Hutton Magna,
NZ11SW 8,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.