Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary stone 110m north west of St Mary's Church

A Scheduled Monument in Sticklepath, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7308 / 50°43'51"N

Longitude: -3.93 / 3°55'48"W

OS Eastings: 263886.242019

OS Northings: 94135.038428

OS Grid: SX638941

Mapcode National: GBR Q6.2B89

Mapcode Global: FRA 27N4.W6Q

Entry Name: Boundary stone 110m north west of St Mary's Church

Scheduled Date: 21 June 1972

Last Amended: 9 February 2001

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1019216

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28756

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Sticklepath

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Belstone St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Details

The monument includes a boundary stone situated at the foot of rising ground
110m north west of St Mary's Church. The granite pillar measures 1.4m high by
0.4m wide on the eastern face and 0.3m thick on the southern side. On the
southern face of the stone is a cross carved in relief. This cross is 0.5cm
proud of the stone surface and measures 0.7m high by up to 0.16m wide. At the
top of the southern face is a 4cm diameter and 1.5cm deep circular hollow. On
the northern face there is another similar hollow and this measures 3cm in
diameter and 1.5cm deep. The western face of the pillar bears eroded carvings
which are no longer clearly discernable but are said to include wavy lines, St
Andrew's crosses and hour glass markings.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Boundary stones of different dates and functions are found in large numbers
throughout Dartmoor. Most were erected to denote the boundary of a particular
land holding, activity or administrative area such as a parish. In some
instances existing rocks or stones were used, but normally stones were
erected by the boundary makers. Most boundary stones are inscribed with
letters or numbers to indicate their purpose and sometimes they are dated.
Amongst the boundaries denoted by stones are parishes, manors, communications,
tinworks, warrens, quarries, private and public land holdings. Amongst the
more unusual are a group of parole stones which denote the boundary beyond
which officers of the French army who had been taken prisoner were not allowed
to pass.
Despite being moved a short distance in 1829, the boundary stone 110m north
west of St Mary's Church remains in its original setting and bears a series of
carved motifs of unusual character.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Masson Phillips, E, 'Devonshire Association Transactions' in The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon : Part 1, , Vol. 69, (1936-37), 331

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.