Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site immediately east of All Saint's Church

A Scheduled Monument in Hulcott, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8426 / 51°50'33"N

Longitude: -0.7618 / 0°45'42"W

OS Eastings: 485400.330823

OS Northings: 216722.133411

OS Grid: SP854167

Mapcode National: GBR D2M.D7Y

Mapcode Global: VHDTZ.RY4C

Entry Name: Moated site immediately east of All Saint's Church

Scheduled Date: 2 December 1998

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1018670

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32110

County: Buckinghamshire

Civil Parish: Hulcott

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Bierton and Hulcott

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site east of All Saint's Church and
approximately 450m west of the River Thame. The moated site includes a
roughly square island measuring approximately 76m in width and level with the
surrounding ground surface. The island is contained by a waterfilled ditch
which measures up to 8m wide and at least 1m in depth. An outer bank,
measuring a maximum of 7m wide and 0.8m in height and thought to represent
upcast from the ditch, is visible on the east side of the moat. An inner
bank, measuring on average 6m wide by 0.75m high, is visible on all four
sides. Access to the island is via a narrow causeway on the southern side of
the monument.

The local Antiquarian, JJ Sheahan noted in 1861 that the foundations of a
building were discovered on the island during the planting of fruit trees and
such remains may account for slight undulations visible towards the northern
side. Given its proximity to the church the moat is likely to mark the site of
the original manor of Hulcott, of which there is no record before the 13th
century, when it was held of the honour of Wormegay by William Bardolf.

The fences around the outside edge of the moat ditch are excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site immediately east of All Saint's Church survives well. It is
largely undisturbed and will retain buried evidence for structures and other
features relating to the period of occupation. The buried silts in the base of
the ditch will contain both artefacts relating to its occupation and
environmental evidence for the appearance of the landscape in which the
monument was set.

The monument, which remains one of the best preserved moated sites in
Buckinghamshire, lies in an area where moated sites are relatively numerous,
and is situated in close proximity to one such site at Bierton, 2.5km to the
south west. Comparisons between these sites will provide valuable insights
into developments in the nature of settlement and society in the medieval
period.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Buckinghamshire, (1969), 342
Sheahan, J J, History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, (1861), 164
Other
Title: Bierton and Hulcott Inclosure Map
Source Date: 1718
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
BRO IR/1A.R.

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.