Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Mudford medieval settlement, 500m south west of West Mudford Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Mudford, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9783 / 50°58'41"N

Longitude: -2.6215 / 2°37'17"W

OS Eastings: 356466.108948

OS Northings: 120061.083705

OS Grid: ST564200

Mapcode National: GBR MP.LPN6

Mapcode Global: FRA 56DJ.GJK

Entry Name: West Mudford medieval settlement, 500m south west of West Mudford Farm

Scheduled Date: 19 June 1978

Last Amended: 29 April 1998

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1018138

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28854

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Mudford

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Details

The monument includes a medieval settlement on high ground on the west bank of
the River Yeo in South Somerset.
The settlement includes earthworks indicating the sites of houses and other
village features, and to the north of these is evidence of medieval
agriculture in the form of two fields defined by field boundaries.
The area containing the village features is surrounded on its south, east and
west sides by a bank which is 1m high in places and a ditch 6m wide. Within
this area are three water-filled ponds and one depression marking the site of
a fourth pond. From the pond on the south west side of the site a village
street runs north west with four house platforms on its north side and two on
its south side. The site of the dry pond, which is 12m in diameter and 1m
deep, is on the south side of this village street. The street bends to the
north with two house platforms on either side of it, each about 1m high and
about 15m long and 10m wide. Another branch of the village street runs south
with a house platform on either side. On the north side of the village
earthworks the surrounding bank merges into the first bank of the medieval
field system. On the east side of the site is another earth bank 0.75m high
and 9m wide which forms the east boundary of the medieval fields. This bank
continues south to end in a number of house platforms. The medieval fields are
sub-divided by east-west banks 0.5m high and 8m wide forming two fields each
about 50m wide.
Documentary evidence indicates that the village was known as Mudford Terry in
1316, and eight people were assessed here in the lay subsidy. The settlement
is also mentioned in the late 13th and early 14th century, and again in the
Tudor period. There are the remains of a well head of undetermined date close
to the field gate.
The post and wire fences and the iron gate are excluded from the scheduling,
although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Medieval rural settlements in England were marked by great regional diversity
in form, size and type, and the protection of their archaeological remains
needs to take these differences into account. To do this, England has been
divided into three broad Provinces on the basis of each area's distinctive
mixture of nucleated and dispersed settlements. These can be further divided
into sub-Provinces and local regions, possessing characteristics which have
gradually evolved during the last 1500 years or more.
This monument lies in the West Wessex sub-Province of the Central Province, an
area characterised by large numbers of villages and hamlets within
countrysides of great local diversity, ranging from flat marshland to hill
ridges. Settlements range from large, sprawling villages to tiny hamlets, a
range extended by large numbers of scattered dwellings in the extreme east and
west of the sub-Province. Cultivation in open townfields was once present, but
early enclosure was commonplace. The physical diversity of the landscape was,
by the time of Domesday Book in 1086, linked with great variations in the
balance of cleared land and woodland.
The Somerset Levels and Polden Hills local region is divided into two parts by
the low ridge of the Poldens. Settlements are few on the wide green wetlands,
but the land is intricate enough to bring ridges, islands and tongues of
higher land into close contact with the Levels. It is at the junction between
these dry lands and wetlands that ancient villages and hamlets are to be
found.

The medieval settlement of West Mudford, 500m south west of West Mudford Farm,
is a good example of a nucleated medieval settlement in this subprovince,
retaining prominant earthworks which mark the locations of village features.
The monument will contain archaeological deposits and environmental evidence
relating to the settlement and the landscape in which it was constructed.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
SMR No 54329, Somerset C. C. SMR,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.