Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site at Eastcote Hall

A Scheduled Monument in Barston, Solihull

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4108 / 52°24'38"N

Longitude: -1.7224 / 1°43'20"W

OS Eastings: 418979.698378

OS Northings: 279236.256991

OS Grid: SP189792

Mapcode National: GBR 4J2.WXQ

Mapcode Global: VHBWV.3N9R

Entry Name: Moated site at Eastcote Hall

Scheduled Date: 16 January 1998

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017529

English Heritage Legacy ID: 30007

County: Solihull

Civil Parish: Barston

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Barston

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Details

The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of the moated site at
Eastcote Hall. The moat is small measuring approximately 60m north-south, by
50m east-west enclosing an island approximately 40m by 40m. The moat, between
5m to 10m wide, is water-filled on all four sides and is terraced into the
ground which rises towards the east. The outer bank of the eastern arm rises
2m to 4m above the surface of the island. On the outer edge of the western arm
there is a broad shallow bank approximately 1m to 2m high which runs along the
length of the moat ditch. The island of the moat is level and is occupied by
a house and gardens. The house, which is a Grade II* Listed Building, is
excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath it is included.
Although much expanded the house contains at its core a 15th century hall.
There is a capped well near the south west corner of the island. A modern
brick built vehicle bridge crosses the middle of the northern arm in the
vicinty of the original point of access to the island. The moat appears to be
spring fed from a site near the south western angle.
To the west of the moat lies a shallow sub-rectangular fishpond which is fed
from the moat by an outlet at its north western angle. The pond measures
approximately 60m by 6m and lies adjacent to the River Blythe. The area
between the River Blythe and the southernmost point of the pond was probably
the location for a sluice linking the two.
Both the bridges, the house and the garden furniture, all the security lights,
and modern fencing and the surfaces of modern paths and steps are excluded
from the scheduling, although the ground beneath all these features is
included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Eastcote Hall preserves several features which demonstrate
the construction, occupation and water manangement of the site. The moat and
pond have remained water filled and will preserve buried organic remains in
good condition. Few such sites survive well within the region, although they
were once a notable feature in the landscape.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire, (1908), 22
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1990), 26 & 86

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.