Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site 150m east of St Nicholas' Church

A Scheduled Monument in Earl's Croome, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0764 / 52°4'34"N

Longitude: -2.1884 / 2°11'18"W

OS Eastings: 387182.632021

OS Northings: 242018.458101

OS Grid: SO871420

Mapcode National: GBR 1HJ.ZDZ

Mapcode Global: VH93F.02XK

Entry Name: Moated site 150m east of St Nicholas' Church

Scheduled Date: 10 June 1952

Last Amended: 18 July 2000

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017343

English Heritage Legacy ID: 31960

County: Worcestershire

Civil Parish: Earl's Croome

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Earl's Croome with Hill Croome and Strensham

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Details

The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of the medieval moated
site approximately 120m east of the St Nicholas' Church. The site is located
on generally level ground and is believed to represent the location of the
original Earls Croome Court, the seat of the de Croome family. The present
timber framed Earls Croome Court dates largely from the 16th and 17th
centuries and is located 250m to the west.
The moat island is rectangular, measuring some 30m by 28m, and is defined by a
substantial water-filled moat which measures approximately 8m wide by up to 1m
deep. The north east and south east corners of the moat have been extended
eastwards for up to 20m, reportedly to serve as stock watering ponds.
The island is generally level and is believed to be undisturbed, access being
gained via a causeway at the north west corner of the moat. The island retains
visible stone revetting, particularly along the northern arm where three
shallow arches of approximately 0.8m span are visible just above the water
line.
A low platform measuring approximately 20m wide by up to 0.3m high runs
westwards for 40m from the centre of the western arm and is believed to
represent an associated stock or garden enclosure and may include evidence for
ancillary buildings.
All modern fencing is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath it is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 150m east of St Nicholas' Church survives as a well preserved
example of a medieval manorial moat, believed to have been superseded in the
16th century by a timber framed building to the west.
The moat island will be expected to preserve evidence of former structures,
including both domestic and ancillary buildings and their associated
occupation levels. These remains will illustrate the nature of use of the site
and the lifestyle of its inhabitants in addition to providing evidence on the
date of the construction and subsequent periods of use of the moat.
The moat ditch will be expected to preserve evidence of its construction and
any subsequent alterations during its active history. In addition, the
waterlogged condition of the moat will preserve environmental information
about the ecosystem and landscape in which it was set.
The low platform to the west will be expected to preserve evidence for the
relationship between the secular moat and the church, including possible
building remains.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
Bond C J, SMR Cards, (1972)
Bond, C.J., Provisional List of Moats in Worcestershire, (1972)
Various, EH files: AA 90707/1, (1970)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.