Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site 590m north east of The Elms

A Scheduled Monument in Kenswick, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2139 / 52°12'50"N

Longitude: -2.2989 / 2°17'56"W

OS Eastings: 379671.262069

OS Northings: 257342.019812

OS Grid: SO796573

Mapcode National: GBR 0DJ.1MM

Mapcode Global: VH92L.3MH5

Entry Name: Moated site 590m north east of The Elms

Scheduled Date: 18 July 2000

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017342

English Heritage Legacy ID: 31958

County: Worcestershire

Civil Parish: Kenswick

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Wichenford

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Details

The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of a moated site 590m
north east of The Elms, Kenswick. Kenswick became a separate parish in
1857 having formerly been a chapelry of Knightwick.
The moat is sub-rectangular in plan and is filled in its southern corner by a
stream which flows through the moat and exits from its northern corner. The
moat measures up to 10m wide by 2m to 3m deep. Access to the island is
gained via two causeways, one located midway along the southern arm and a
second in the northern corner. The moat is waterlogged throughout most of its
circuit and is water-filled in its eastern corner. The island measures
approximately 70m by 50m, and in its north east corner there is a pond which
measures 30m by 10m. The pond is water-filled and approximately 2m to 3m deep.
The moat island is undisturbed and appears to preserve some internal banks.
The Broadheath Tithe map of 1747 shows an `L' shaped building and an
outbuilding on the island defined by ponds to the west and east. These
buildings are expected to survive as buried features. An orchard is shown to
the west of the moat.
All modern fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 590m north east of The Elms survives as a largely undisturbed
and well preserved example of its class of monument. The undisturbed nature of
the island will preserve evidence of former structures, including both
domestic and ancillary buildings and their associated occupation levels. These
remains will help illustrate the nature of use of the site and the lifestyle
of its inhabitants.
The moated site and pond will also preserve deposits relating to their
construction and any subsequent alterations. The waterlogged condition of the
moat and pond will preserve environmental information about the ecosystem and
landscape in which it was set.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Moger, O, Wragge, A, The Victoria History of the County of Worcestershire, (1913), 438-441
Other
Title: Map (Partridge Farm), Parish File, Broadheath 00911-5403-4
Source Date: 1747
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Unpublished notes in SMR, 1997,
Woodiwiss, S., SMR Records, (1990)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.