Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

King's Hall moated site, 480m east of Broadwater House Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Whaplode, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7733 / 52°46'23"N

Longitude: -0.0557 / 0°3'20"W

OS Eastings: 531256.383899

OS Northings: 321295.411104

OS Grid: TF312212

Mapcode National: GBR JYY.4QM

Mapcode Global: WHHMP.3KQ8

Entry Name: King's Hall moated site, 480m east of Broadwater House Farm

Scheduled Date: 10 December 1951

Last Amended: 12 January 2000

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017217

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33126

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Whaplode

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Moulton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site known as King's Hall, thought to
have been the residence of the de Moulton family. In 1086 there were two land
holdings at Moulton belonging to Ivo Taillebois and Guy de Craon. By the early
13th century much of the land at Moulton had passed to Thomas de Moulton as
tenant of Guy de Craon. It is believed that the moated site was established
during the late 12th century on land reclaimed from the fen. In 1216 reference
is made to the `castle of Moulton' and subsequent references include one to
repairs made in 1461. By the 1530s part of the building was still standing but
after the 18th century was no longer visible above ground.

Situated on level ground the monument takes the form of a raised island
enclosed by a moat. The island is `D'-shaped in plan, measuring approximately
85m by 80m, and stands up to 1.5m above the surrounding ground level. The
surrounding moat is water-filled and measures up to 18m in width. The north
western moat arm is crossed by two earthen causeways thought to represent
original points of access to the island.

The island is thought to have been occupied by a fortified manor house which
survives as a buried feature. During World War II medieval pottery ranging in
date from the late 13th century to the early 14th century was revealed during
the construction of a bunker on the northern part of the island.

All fence posts are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath
them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at King's Hall survives well as a series of earthworks and
buried deposits. Waterlogging in the moat will preserve organic remains, such
as timber, leather and seeds, which will give an insight into domestic and
economic activity on the site. In addition the artificially raised ground
preserves evidence of land use prior to the construction of the moat.
Associated with a well known family and occupied over a long period of time it
contributes to our understanding of the development of a relatively high
status component of the medieval landscape. As a result of detailed
documentary research and archaeological survey, the history of the site is
quite well understood.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Healey, RH, Roffe, DR, Some medieval and later earthworks in South Lincolnshire, (1990), 61-63

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.