This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0132 / 51°0'47"N
Longitude: -2.4246 / 2°25'28"W
OS Eastings: 370306.493187
OS Northings: 123840.56065
OS Grid: ST703238
Mapcode National: GBR MY.JKHS
Mapcode Global: FRA 56TF.M73
Entry Name: Village cross
Scheduled Date: 12 August 1949
Last Amended: 15 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1017016
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32160
Civil Parish: Horsington
Built-Up Area: Horsington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
The monument includes a medieval cross located on a small village green 110m
north of St John the Baptist's Church at Horsington. Constructed of hamstone,
the cross, which is Listed Grade II, has a four-stepped circular base, each
step 30cm high and the lowest approximately 4.5m in diameter. The top step
supports a socket stone 50cm high and 90cm square in which a tapering
octagonal shaft is set. It is approximately 3m high and ornamented on its
south side with a sculpture of a full-length figure, possibly a friar, with
two skulls above and a rams head below it.
A nearby plaque states that the cross marks the site of the village market,
and was erected in 1284 on the grant of free warren to the lord of the manor
giving him the right to hold a fair, a market and a court.
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 1 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
Source: Historic England
A standing cross is a free standing upright structure, usually of stone,
mostly erected during the medieval period (mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD).
Standing crosses served a variety of functions. In churchyards they served as
stations for outdoor processions, particularly in the observance of Palm
Sunday. Elsewhere, standing crosses were used within settlements as places for
preaching, public proclamation and penance, as well as defining rights of
sanctuary. Standing crosses were also employed to mark boundaries between
parishes, property, or settlements. A few crosses were erected to commemorate
battles. Some crosses were linked to particular saints, whose support and
protection their presence would have helped to invoke. Crosses in market
places may have helped to validate transactions. After the Reformation, some
crosses continued in use as foci for municipal or borough ceremonies, for
example as places for official proclamations and announcements; some were the
scenes of games or recreational activity.
Standing crosses were distributed throughout England and are thought to have
numbered in excess of 12,000. However, their survival since the Reformation
has been variable, being much affected by local conditions, attitudes and
religious sentiment. In particular, many cross-heads were destroyed by
iconoclasts during the 16th and 17th centuries. Less than 2,000 medieval
standing crosses, with or without cross-heads, are now thought to exist. The
oldest and most basic form of standing cross is the monolith, a stone shaft
often set directly in the ground without a base. The most common form is the
stepped cross, in which the shaft is set in a socket stone and raised upon a
flight of steps; this type of cross remained current from the 11th to 12th
centuries until after the Reformation. Where the cross-head survives it may
take a variety of forms, from a lantern-like structure to a crucifix; the more
elaborate examples date from the 15th century. Much less common than stepped
crosses are spire-shaped crosses, often composed of three or four receding
stages with elaborate architectural decoration and/or sculptured figures; the
most famous of these include the Eleanor crosses, erected by Edward I at the
stopping places of the funeral cortege of his wife, who died in 1290. Also
uncommon are the preaching crosses which were built in public places from the
13th century, typically in the cemeteries of religious communities and
cathedrals, market places and wide thoroughfares; they include a stepped base,
buttresses supporting a vaulted canopy, in turn carrying either a shaft and
head or a pinnacled spire. Standing crosses contribute significantly to our
understanding of medieval customs, both secular and religious, and to our
knowledge of medieval parishes and settlement patterns. All crosses which
survive as standing monuments, especially those which stand in or near their
original location, are considered worthy of protection.
Horsington village cross survives well in its original position marking the
site of the medieval village market. It also possesses an example of medieval
Source: Historic England
Other nearby scheduled monuments