Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated enclosure and fishpond 370m north east of Scar Cottage

A Scheduled Monument in Redmarley D'Abitot, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9766 / 51°58'35"N

Longitude: -2.3533 / 2°21'11"W

OS Eastings: 375827.526646

OS Northings: 230965.909912

OS Grid: SO758309

Mapcode National: GBR 0HB.5TF

Mapcode Global: VH93Q.5L72

Entry Name: Moated enclosure and fishpond 370m north east of Scar Cottage

Scheduled Date: 7 July 1999

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1016839

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32344

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Redmarley D'Abitot

Built-Up Area: Redmarley D'Abitot

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Redmarley d'Abitot St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Details

The monument includes a moated site with associated fishpond and leat set on
relatively low-lying ground which slopes gently to the north, 370m north east
of Scar Cottage. It includes a roughly circular island measuring 33m in
diameter, surrounded by a moat measuring between 9.5m and 12m in width and up
to 1.75m in depth. The surface of the island is raised slightly above the
level of the surrounding field and a number of earthworks are visible on the
island, although their precise nature is unclear. A leat, visible as a shallow
earthwork, runs from the moat into a natural pond at the bottom of the slope
to the north. This pond is not included in the scheduling, although the leat
is. To the north west are the shallow earthwork remains of a fishpond which
was also fed by a leat from the moat. Crossing the moat between the two leats
is a causeway approximately 2m wide. Aerial photographs taken in the early
1970s show that the moated enclosure is respected by ridge and furrow which
runs east-west across the field, although the ridge and furrow is not well
defined at ground level.
A local tradition suggests that the enclosure marks the site of the previous
rectory. The present rectory, which lies to the north, was built in 1744.
The post and wire fence which runs along the field boundary to the north of
the monument is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath it
is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated enclosure 370m north east of Scar Cottage survives well and is
unencumbered by later structures. Buried deposits on the island will include
the remains of structures and archaeological information relating to the
construction, subsequent occupation and use of the site. Within the moat,
leats and fishpond waterlogged deposits will preserve archaeological remains
relating to the occupation of the site, along with environmental remains which
will provide information about the economy of the site and the local
environment during the period in which it was constructed and occupied.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
CUAP, (1972)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.