Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Howe Hill motte castle

A Scheduled Monument in Yafforth, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3494 / 54°20'57"N

Longitude: -1.4683 / 1°28'5"W

OS Eastings: 434655.664231

OS Northings: 495006.240666

OS Grid: SE346950

Mapcode National: GBR LL54.XM

Mapcode Global: WHD7V.FY01

Entry Name: Howe Hill motte castle

Scheduled Date: 2 December 1938

Last Amended: 24 September 1997

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1016266

English Heritage Legacy ID: 29527

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Yafforth

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Details

The monument includes the remains of a motte castle known as Howe Hill,
located in low lying land in the flood plain of the River Wiske.
The motte is an artificial mound built on the top of a natural rounded knoll.
It is a flat topped mound 65m in diameter at the base and 25m across on the
top. It stands 4.5m high above the top of the knoll. The base of the motte
is surrounded by a ditch with an outer counterscarp bank. The ditch is partly
infilled in places, leaving a level terrace, although elsewhere, particularly
around the south east side, both the ditch and the counterscarp bank survive
as earthworks. There are traces of an entranceway through the bank and ditch
at the north side.
Originally there would have been a timber structure on the top of the motte
and a further timber pallisade fence protecting the outer bank. Access to the
motte would be via a timber superstructure leading from a strongly built
gatehouse.
The motte was probably built during the reign of King Stephen between 1135 and
1154. During this period there was political unrest throughout England and
forts capable of garrisoning a small force of troops were established to
maintain order. This motte commanded the crossing of the River Wiske by the
old High Road from Northallerton to Catterick and Richmond. It was probably
suppressed by Henry II during the late 12th century.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Motte castles are medieval fortifications introduced into Britain by the
Normans. They comprised a large conical mound of earth or rubble, the motte,
surmounted by a palisade and a stone or timber tower. In a majority of
examples an embanked enclosure containing additional buildings, the bailey,
adjoined the motte. Motte castles and motte-and-bai1ey castles acted as
garrison forts during offensive military operations, as strongholds, and, in
many cases, as aristocratic residences and as centres of local or royal
administration. Built in towns, villages and open countryside, motte castles
generally occupied strategic positions dominating their immediate locality
and, as a result, are the most visually impressive monuments of the early
post-Conquest period surviving in the modern landscape. Over 600 motte castles
and motte-and-bailey castles are recorded nationally, with examples known from
most regions. Some 100-150 examples do not have baileys and are classified as
motte castles. As one of a restricted range of recognised early post-Conquest
monuments, they are particularly important for the study of Norman Britain and
the development of the feudal system. Although many were occupied for only a
short period of time, motte castles continued to be built and occupied from
the 11th to the 13th centuries, after which they were superseded by other
types of castle.

The motte at Howe Hill survives well and significant remains of the structures
on top of the mound and the encircling bank and ditch will be preserved. Due
to its restricted location on a small natural knoll there is no bailey. This
motte castle appears to have been in use for a comparatively short period of
time and was abandoned when its usefulness as a military feature was outlived.
It offers important scope for understanding the construction of the castle,
its domestic and military arrangements and the role it played in the history
of the area.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
L'Anson, W M, 'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. VOL 22, (1913), 398-9

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.