Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Prehistoric cairn group on Abbey Hill, Tresco

A Scheduled Monument in Tresco, Isles of Scilly

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 49.948 / 49°56'52"N

Longitude: -6.336 / 6°20'9"W

OS Eastings: 89051.535914

OS Northings: 14324.97303

OS Grid: SV890143

Mapcode National: GBR BXRT.DM9

Mapcode Global: VGYBY.4K7R

Entry Name: Prehistoric cairn group on Abbey Hill, Tresco

Scheduled Date: 25 September 1997

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1016183

English Heritage Legacy ID: 15506

County: Isles of Scilly

Civil Parish: Tresco

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Isles of Scilly

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Details

The scheduling includes a linear group of four prehistoric round cairns, in
two areas of protection, extending along the western ridge of Abbey Hill,
overlooking the west coast of southern Tresco in the Isles of Scilly. The
scheduling also includes remains of a post-medieval watch house at the base of
a late-19th century memorial obelisk built onto the cairn occupying the summit
of the ridge.
The cairn group extends in a straight line over 85m of the hill's western
ridge. A gap of 25m separates the northern two cairns from the southern two;
the cairns in the northern pair are spaced 10m apart and those in the southern
pair are 9m apart. Each cairn is visible as a shallow-domed rounded or ovoid
mound of turf-covered earth and rubble. In the northern pair, the northern
cairn measures 12m in diameter and rises to 0.8m high; the southern cairn is
9m in diameter and rises to 0.6m high. In the southern pair, the northern
cairn is situated on the summit of the ridge and measures 15m east-west, 14m
north-south and rises up to 1m high, while the cairn to its south is 9m
north-south by 7m east-west and rises to 0.7m high.
Only the cairn on the summit has visible evidence for further prehistoric
elaboration. The top of this cairn's mound has been modified by construction
of the watch house and the later memorial obelisk, but beyond the base of the
memorial a line of large rough slabs, up to 1.2m long by 0.8m wide and 0.1m
high, forms a low kerb embedded in the fabric of the mound on a curve c.8m in
diameter, visible around the north and north west, and intermittently on the
west and south west. The kerb defines the perimeter of a flattened platform
which contains the much later features.
The earliest post medieval structural activity affecting the summit cairn is
the watch house whose ruins were recorded on top of Abbey Hill by the Revd
John Troutbeck in 1796; its remains will have been largely removed and reused
for the building of the late 19th century memorial obelisk but its former
presence is considered to account for a flat rectangular slab, 0.8m long by
0.4m wide, embedded in the mound's upper surface close to the southern foot of
the obelisk but forming no part of the memorial itself.
The late-19th century memorial was erected on top of the cairn in memory of
Augustus Smith, the lessee of the Isles of Scilly and the major formative
influence on the islands' modern economy from 1834 until his death in 1872. It
was designed shortly before his death by Augustus Smith himself and consists
of a squat obelisk built of large coursed granite slabs with deliberately
rough and highly irregular outer faces. Adjoining the eastern foot of the
obelisk is a small railed garden bed whose low edging slabs extend to the
eastern crest of the mound's upper platform.
Beyond this scheduling, remains of broadly contemporary field systems and
settlement sites survive in now-submerged locations on the western shores of
Tresco, to both the north west and south of this cairn group.
The late-19th century memorial obelisk, which is Listed Grade II, the modern
seat and railings are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The Isles of Scilly, the westernmost of the granite masses of south west
England, contain a remarkable abundance and variety of archaeological remains
from over 4000 years of human activity. The remote physical setting of the
islands, over 40km beyond the mainland in the approaches to the English
Channel, has lent a distinctive character to those remains, producing many
unusual features important for our broader understanding of the social
development of early communities.
Throughout the human occupation there has been a gradual submergence of the
islands' land area, providing a stimulus to change in the environment and its
exploitation. This process has produced evidence for responses to such change
against an independent time-scale, promoting integrated studies of
archaeological, environmental and linguistic aspects of the islands'
settlement.
The islands' archaeological remains demonstrate clearly the gradually
expanding size and range of contacts of their communities. By the post-
medieval period (from AD 1540), the islands occupied a nationally strategic
location, resulting in an important concentration of defensive works
reflecting the development of fortification methods and technology from the
mid 16th to the 20th centuries. An important and unusual range of post-
medieval monuments also reflects the islands' position as a formidable hazard
for the nation's shipping in the western approaches.
The exceptional preservation of the archaeological remains on the islands has
long been recognised, producing an unusually full and detailed body of
documentation, including several recent surveys.
Round cairns are funerary monuments of Bronze Age date (c.2000-700 BC). They
were constructed as mounds of earth and stone rubble, up to 40m in external
diameter, though usually considerably smaller, covering single or multiple
burials. A kerb of edge-set stones sometimes bounds the edge of the mound.
Burials were placed in small pits, or on occasion within a box-like structure
of stone slabs called a cist, set into the old ground surface or dug into the
body of the cairn. Round cairns can occur as isolated monuments, in small
groups or in larger cemeteries.
Round cairns form a high proportion of the 387 surviving cairns recorded on
the Isles of Scilly. Their considerable variation in form and longevity as a
monument type provides important information on the diversity of beliefs,
burial practices and social organisation in the Bronze Age and a substantial
proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of preservation.

The linear cairn group on Abbey Hill survives well and shows little evidence
for disturbance; the later structures at the summit cairn have had no
substantial effect on the fabric of the cairn's mound while the surviving
evidence for that cairn's kerb illustrates the diversity of structural
features that such cairns may display. The cairn group's linear arrangement
along the crest of this prominent ridge shows well the influence of natural
landforms in the expression of prehistoric funerary and ritual activity. The
broadly contemporary context of the cairn group is demonstrated by the
surviving prehistoric field systems and settlement sites on the shores of the
west coast of Tresco, giving an insight into the organisation of prehistoric
land use across an unusually broad altitude range prior to the islands'
extensive submergence.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Inglis-Jones, E, Augustus Smith of Scilly, (1969)
Inglis-Jones, E, Augustus Smith of Scilly, (1969)
Other
Isles of Scilly; 1358 - 0/7/118, DNH, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, (1992)
Parkes, C/CAU, AM 107 for Scilly SMR entry PRN 7320, (1988)
Parkes, C/CAU, AM 107 for Scilly SMR entry PRN 7321.01, (1988)
Parkes, C/CAU, AM 107 for Scilly SMR entry PRN 7321.02, (1988)
Parkes, C/CAU, AM 107 for Scilly SMR entry PRN 7322.01, (1988)
Parkes, C/CAU, AM 107 for Scilly SMR entry PRN 7322.02, (1988)
Title: 1:2500 Ordnance Survey Map; Cornwall sheet LXXXVII: 2
Source Date: 1888
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Title: 1:2500 Ordnance Survey Map; Cornwall sheet LXXXVII: 2
Source Date: 1908
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Title: 1:2500 Ordnance Survey Map; SV 8914
Source Date: 1980
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.