Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wayside cross 100m north of Liverpool Lodge, Little Crosby

A Scheduled Monument in Manor, Sefton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.503 / 53°30'10"N

Longitude: -3.0253 / 3°1'30"W

OS Eastings: 332092.982017

OS Northings: 401194.562899

OS Grid: SD320011

Mapcode National: GBR 7W9X.VZ

Mapcode Global: WH86T.H6MT

Entry Name: Wayside cross 100m north of Liverpool Lodge, Little Crosby

Scheduled Date: 22 July 1997

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1015599

English Heritage Legacy ID: 27604

County: Sefton

Electoral Ward/Division: Manor

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Great Crosby All Saints and St Frideswyde, Thornton

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Details

The monument includes a wayside cross on the line of the old road from
Little Crosby to Sefton and Ormskirk at the southern end of the village of
Little Crosby. The fields which surrounded the cross in 1702, before the
enclosure of the present park, were called the townfields and the field to
the west of the road opposite the cross is still called Crossfield. The
cross therefore marks the entrance to the village in the pre-enclosure
period.
The monument consists of two steps supporting a socketed block and a shaft
with a collar but missing a head. The first step measures 1.9m by 1.9m and
stands 0.3m high. The second measures 1.2m by 1.2m and is 0.35m high. The
block measures 0.9m by 0.9m and is 0.75m high with a socket hole 0.3m square.
The shaft is 1.8m high and consists of two pieces of stone, slightly tapering
towards the top and chamfered deeply at the edges. Above the shaft is a square
collar and the head or lantern is missing. From the style of the chamfered
decoration the cross dates from around 1500.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Wayside crosses are one of several types of Christian cross erected during the
medieval period, mostly from the 9th to 15th centuries AD. In addition to
serving the function of reiterating and reinforcing the Christian faith
amongst those who passed the cross and of reassuring the traveller, wayside
crosses often fulfilled a role as waymarkers, especially in difficult and
otherwise unmarked terrain. The crosses might be on regularly used routes
linking ordinary settlements or on routes having a more specifically religious
function, including those providing access to religious sites for parishioners
and funeral processions, or marking long-distance routes frequented on
pilgrimages.
Over 350 wayside crosses are known nationally, concentrated in south west
England throughout Cornwall and on Dartmoor where they form the commonest type
of stone cross. A small group also occurs on the North York Moors. Relatively
few examples have been recorded elsewhere and these are generally confined to
remote moorland locations.
Outside Cornwall almost all wayside crosses take the form of a `Latin' cross,
in which the cross-head itself is shaped within the projecting arms of an
unenclosed cross. In Cornwall wayside crosses vary considerably in form and
decoration. The commonest type includes a round, or `wheel', head on the faces
of which various forms of cross or related designs were carved in relief or
incised, the spaces between the cross arms possibly pierced. The design was
sometimes supplemented with a relief figure of Christ and the shaft might bear
decorative panels and motifs. Less common forms in Cornwall include the
`Latin' cross and, much rarer, the simple slab with a low relief cross on both
faces. Rare examples of wheel-head and slab-form crosses also occur within the
North York Moors group. Most wayside crosses have either a simple socketed
base or show no evidence for a separate base at all.
Wayside crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval
religious customs and sculptural traditions and to our knowledge of medieval
routeways and settlement patterns. All wayside crosses which survive as earth-
fast monuments, except those which are extremely damaged and removed from
their original locations, are considered worthy of protection.

The wayside cross at Little Crosby survives well although the head is missing.
It is in its original position beside the old road from Little Crosby to
Sefton and Ormskirk and was taken into the park during the 19th century when
the road was diverted and the present wall constructed. To mark the location
of the cross, a stone relief-carved cross was inserted into the park wall in
1813 and this is listed Grade II. In 1902 it was recorded that Roman Catholic
funeral processions used to stop at this cross and a `de profundis' said. This
is late for such ceremonies to have survived.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Tyrer, F, Lets Walk to Little Crosby, (1957), 12
Other
Title: Tithe Map
Source Date: 1702
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.