Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Linbrig deserted medieval village, 540m north of Linbriggs

A Scheduled Monument in Alwinton, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3556 / 55°21'20"N

Longitude: -2.1696 / 2°10'10"W

OS Eastings: 389344.675461

OS Northings: 606859.163937

OS Grid: NT893068

Mapcode National: GBR F69H.2Z

Mapcode Global: WHB0D.NN25

Entry Name: Linbrig deserted medieval village, 540m north of Linbriggs

Scheduled Date: 10 November 1964

Last Amended: 7 April 1997

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1015524

English Heritage Legacy ID: 25070

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Alwinton

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Details

The monument includes the remains of a deserted medieval village situated on
the level terrace of a promontory formed by a loop in the River Coquet. The
village is bounded on the east and south sides by the steep sides of the river
bank and on the north and west sides by banks of stone and earth 0.5m high.
Further stone and earth banks serve to divide the area into a series of
enclosures interpreted as yards. The remains of at least 16 rectangular
buildings survive, many with internal walls dividing the buildings into two
rooms; these buildings represent the houses which comprise the village. These
houses are visible as low stone foundations on average 1m wide standing to a
maximum height of 0.3m. The buildings vary in length but are on average 15m
long by 7m wide. Part of one of the houses was partly excavated in 1967
which revealed that there had been three different periods of occupation and
sherds of pottery recovered during the excavation indicated that the house
became abandoned during the 16th century and was replaced by a smaller
building on the same site which had collapsed by AD 1600. A circular stone
structure 6m in diameter attached to one of the rectangular buildings has been
interpreted as a kiln used for the drying of corn. The southern corner of the
village is occupied by a roughly rectangular enclosure isolated from the rest
of the village by a broad ditch 8m wide; this is interpreted as a stock
enclosure. This village has been identified as that of the medieval settlement
of Linbrig.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Medieval rural settlement in England is marked by great diversity in form,
size and type and the protection of archaeological remains needs to take these
regional differences into account. To do this, England has been divided into
three broad Provinces on the basis of each area's distinctive mixture of
nucleated and dispersed settlements. These can be further divided into sub-
Provinces and local regions, possessing characteristics which have gradually
evolved during the past 1500 years or more.
This monument lies in the Wear-Tweed sub-Province of the Central Province, an
area long characterised, except for the western margins, by nucleated
settlements, both surviving and deserted. Variations within the sub-Province
reflect land ownership as well as terrain: on some estates in Northumberland
there was much dispersal of farmsteads and consequent village and hamlet
depopulation after the Middle Ages; whereas Durham saw greater stability
because of ecclesiastical control. An overlay of mining settlements adds
complexity to the coalfield areas.

The Cheviot Margin local region is a narrow transition area between two
contrasting areas, the high moorlands of the Cheviots and the agriculturally
favourable lowlands of the Tweed Valley and the Northumbrian Vales. Fieldwork
has shown that this region retains archaeological traces likely to date from
many periods, providing evidence for sequences of land occupation. Medieval
settlements are mainly in the form of small hamlets and isolated farmsteads.

Linbrig medieval village is well preserved and retains significant
archaeological deposits. Its size, little larger than a hamlet, is
characteristic of its particular local region, and it is therefore an
important example of settlement diversity in England. In addition it is a good
example of the type of small rural settlement occupied in this region from the
11th to early 17th centuries. It will therefore add greatly to our
understanding of settlement and agriculture at this time.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, MW, Hurst, JG, Deserted Medieval Villages , (1971), 160
Charlton, D B, Day, J C, An Archaeological Survey of the MOD Training Area, Otterburn, (1977)
Harbottle, B, Philipson, J, 'Medieval Archaeology' in , , Vol. 12, (1968), 198
Other
NT 80 NE 07,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.