Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site at Bishop Ullathorne School

A Scheduled Monument in Wainbody, Coventry

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3788 / 52°22'43"N

Longitude: -1.5366 / 1°32'11"W

OS Eastings: 431643.478923

OS Northings: 275746.254776

OS Grid: SP316757

Mapcode National: GBR H7Z.D8

Mapcode Global: VHBX4.BG1Q

Entry Name: Moated site at Bishop Ullathorne School

Scheduled Date: 4 January 1996

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1014047

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21619

County: Coventry

Electoral Ward/Division: Wainbody

Built-Up Area: Coventry

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Finham St Martin-in-Fields

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Details

The monument is situated within the grounds of Bishop Ullathorne Roman
Catholic School on the south western outskirts of Coventry and includes a
moated site.
The moated site has external dimensions of 52m north west to south east and
70m north east to south west and projects out of an east facing slope. The dry
moat ditches are up to 15m wide and approximately 1.5m deep. At the southern
corner of the site, the moat ditch projects to the south west to form a pond
area which remains water filled and is included in the scheduling. A modern
service road bisects the site and is thought to overlie the original entrance
onto the moated island, which is believed to have been from the north, across
the north eastern arm of the moat. The moated island is raised above the
surrounding ground surface and is approximately 33m square. It has a
relatively level surface and is thought to retain buried archaeological
features associated with the occupation of the moated site.
A late 16th century map of the area provides evidence for the setting of the
moated site during the post-medieval period. At this time it was located
within an open area which was bounded to the south and east by belts of
woodland.
The surfaces of all driveways, the flag-pole, and the modern bridges across
the north eastern and south western moat ditches are excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Bishop Ullathorne School is a well preserved example of
this class of monument and is unencumbered by modern development. The moated
island will retain structural and artefactual evidence for the buildings which
originally existed here, whilst the moat ditches, particularly the water
filled southern corner, will contain both artefactual and environmental
information relating to the site's occupation and the economy of its
inhabitants as well as the landscape in which it was set. As a monument
situated within school grounds it serves as both an educational and an amenity
resource.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
Title: Map of Stoneleigh
Source Date: 1597
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.