Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site 190m south of Caludon Castle

A Scheduled Monument in Wyken, Coventry

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4164 / 52°24'58"N

Longitude: -1.4515 / 1°27'5"W

OS Eastings: 437404.369095

OS Northings: 279961.745382

OS Grid: SP374799

Mapcode National: GBR HVJ.7T

Mapcode Global: VHBWZ.SJJG

Entry Name: Moated site 190m south of Caludon Castle

Scheduled Date: 7 September 2000

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1014045

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21616

County: Coventry

Electoral Ward/Division: Wyken

Built-Up Area: Coventry

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Stoke St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Details

The monument is situated within a public recreation area, 190m south of the
site of Caludon Castle and includes a moated site.

The moated site has been constructed on a north facing slope and has
external dimensions of 70m east to west and 77m north to south. The moat
ditches are approximately 12m wide, and although they are now dry, map
evidence indicates that the southern arm was still water-filled in 1890.
External banks, up to 7m wide, are visible immediately beyond the northern and
western moat ditches. The topography of the site suggests that these banks
served as retaining banks, holding the water within the moat ditches. There is
no visible evidence for the original access onto the moated island and it is
therefore thought to have been via a bridge across the northern moat ditch,
providing access from Caludon Castle. The moated island itself measures
approximately 40m east to west and 46m north to south and will retain buried
features associated with the occupation and use of the site although no
earthworks are visible on the surface.

The ruins, earthwork and buried remains of Caludon Castle, a high status
residence which was originally constructed in the late 12th century and
occupied through to the late 17th century, are situated to the north of the
moated site. These remains are the subject of a separate scheduling. A
relationship with Caludon Castle is highly likely, and the moated site to the
south was probably a secondary associated enclosure of similar date.

All fenceposts and the former reservoir chamber at the south eastern corner of
the moated island are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 190m south of Caludon Castle is a well preserved example of
this class of monument and is unencumbered by modern development. The moated
island will retain structural and artefactual evidence for buildings and other
structures which originally existed, including evidence of their form, date
and function. The moat ditches, which have silted naturally, will contain both
artefactual and environmental information relating to the site's occupation
and illustrating the landscape in which it was used. The interest of the
moated site is enhanced by its close proximity to Caludon Castle and as a
monument which is open to the public, it serves as a valuable educational
resource and public amenity.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, MW, Hurst, JG, Deserted Medieval Villages , (1971), 205
Tomlinson, M, The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire, (1969), 121
Chatwin, P B, 'Transactions of Birmingham Archaeoloigccal and Historical Society' in Transactions of Birmingham Archaeoloigccal and Historical Society, , Vol. 57, (1951), 27

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.