Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bowl barrow in Towthorpe Plantation, 1km NNE of Burdale North Wold

A Scheduled Monument in Wharram, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0651 / 54°3'54"N

Longitude: -0.6511 / 0°39'4"W

OS Eastings: 488377.592598

OS Northings: 464083.228001

OS Grid: SE883640

Mapcode National: GBR RPWF.TJ

Mapcode Global: WHGD1.Z23Y

Entry Name: Bowl barrow in Towthorpe Plantation, 1km NNE of Burdale North Wold

Scheduled Date: 11 November 1966

Last Amended: 15 December 1995

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1013713

English Heritage Legacy ID: 26535

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Wharram

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Wharram St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow situated in Towthorpe Plantation, situated
on the county boundary line between North Yorkshire and Humberside. The barrow
is one of a group of seven surviving in this area, five of which are in a line
along the county boundary.
The barrow survives as a prominent mound up to 2.2m high and 20m in diameter
and is surrounded by a ditch between 2m and 3m wide, which, although no longer
visible at ground level, will survive as a buried feature.
The monument was originally part of a much larger group of 21 barrows,
recorded by J R Mortimer as stretching for 7km from Wharram in the west
nearly as far as Sledmere in the east, and itself forms part of a chain of
barrows extending along the line of the ancient greenway now known as the
Wolds Way, from Aldro to Sledmere.
A depression in the centre of the mound summit attests to the fact that the
barrow was excavated by J R Mortimer in 1874, who found a large heap of
cremated bones of an adult within the decayed parts of a small oak coffin, and
the remains of a lid on top. Impressions of the square-cut ends and rounded
sides of the coffin were seen defined clearly in the original land surface.
Part of the mound material was composed of local clay brought in from Burdale
and Duggleby for the purpose of the burial.
Finds from the mound included 35 flint flakes and fragments, ten scrapers, two
spherical putative sling stones, three knives and two parts of knives.
A modern post and wire fence encircles part of the southern side of the mound,
and is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath it is
included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
protection.

The monument is one of a closely associated group of barrows within Towthorpe
Plantation. The location of the modern county boundary along this line of
barrows offers important insight into the antiquity of land divisions in this
region.

Despite part excavation by J R Mortimer in 1874, the barrow survives in
very good condition, almost to its original height, and will contain further
burials and archaeological information relating to its construction.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905), 6
Other
Bastow, M.E., AM107, (1989)
Crastow, OE, AM7, (1966)
Humberside SMR, Sites and Monuments Records Sheet, (1994)
Pacitto, A.L., AM107, (1985)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.