Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Radcliffe moated site, Langthwaite, Adwick le Street

A Scheduled Monument in Roman Ridge, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5554 / 53°33'19"N

Longitude: -1.1638 / 1°9'49"W

OS Eastings: 455491.948878

OS Northings: 406852.702378

OS Grid: SE554068

Mapcode National: GBR NW9B.V7

Mapcode Global: WHDCW.3W2R

Entry Name: Radcliffe moated site, Langthwaite, Adwick le Street

Scheduled Date: 19 February 1976

Last Amended: 12 December 1995

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1013653

English Heritage Legacy ID: 13215

County: Doncaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Roman Ridge

Built-Up Area: Bentley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Adwick-le-Street St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Details

The monument consists of a trapezoidal island, measuring 65m on the east
side, c.55m on the north (under railway embankments), 50m on the south side
and an estimated 45m on the west. It is surrounded by a water-filled moat
linked to Langthwaite Dike on the south side. The island has a distinct
inner bank along the south, west and east sides which presumably also ran
along the north side and is now buried. The surface of the island is
irregular but there are no obvious building platforms. In 1828 however,
Hunter makes reference to a house that was demolished in the late 17th century
by the then owner, Sir William Adams. Prior to that, the manor had been in the
hands of Hugh de Langthwaite and later, the Woodruffes of Woolley. It was sold
by Francis Woodruffe in the reign of Elizabeth I. The monument was the
successor to Castle Hills motte and bailey castle which lies c.350m to the
WSW. Both sites commanded the manor of Langthwaite (later Hangthwaite) and
faint earthworks in the field separating the two monuments indicate the site
of the deserted village. Langthwaite deserted village does not form part of
the scheduling.
The railway line, embankment and wire fencing are excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground underneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Radcliffe Moat, with its substantial surviving earthworks and largely
undisturbed island, is a good example of this type of monument. Organic and
palaeoenvironmental remains will be well preserved in its waterlogged moat.
The monument is also part of a group including nearby Castle Hills motte and
bailey castle, which it superseded, and the deserted village of Langthwaite.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Addy, S O, Some Defensive Earthworks In The Neighbourhood Of Sheffield, (1914)
Hunter, J, South Yorkshire , (1831)
Le Patourel, H E J, The Moated Sites of Yorkshire, (1973)
Magilton, J, The Doncaster District, (1977)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.