Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Medieval ringwork at Clay Hill

A Scheduled Monument in Ringmer, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.91 / 50°54'35"N

Longitude: 0.0597 / 0°3'35"E

OS Eastings: 544903.403657

OS Northings: 114300.896069

OS Grid: TQ449143

Mapcode National: GBR LQW.XK9

Mapcode Global: FRA C60P.P37

Entry Name: Medieval ringwork at Clay Hill

Scheduled Date: 17 November 1964

Last Amended: 3 May 1991

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1013064

English Heritage Legacy ID: 12777

County: East Sussex

Civil Parish: Ringmer

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Ringmer St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Details

The earthwork east of Clay Hill is a ringwork dating to the late Anglo-
Saxon/early Norman period. The monument includes a ditch of varying depth and
up to 7m across, the earth from which was used to create a mound some 2.5m
high and 40m in diameter. The top of the mound was strengthened further by a
1.5m high bank around its edge, and in all likelihood by a wooden palisade.
The small area within the bank provided the site for buildings and perhaps a
watchtower. Access was gained through an entrance on the eastern side,
represented by a 7m gap in the bank, beyond which the remains of a wooden
bridge can be expected to survive.
Small-scale excavations at the site in 1922 recovered Norman or early medieval
pottery. A plan completed at the same time shows that the bank on the top of
the mound was formerly continuous apart from at the entrance. It also
demonstrates the existence of the ditch around the northern side of the mound.
Wartime emplacements and more recent ploughing have partially obscured these
features.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Ringworks are medieval fortifications built and occupied from the late
Anglo-Saxon period to the later 12th century. They comprised a small defended
area containing buildings which was surrounded or partly surrounded by a
substantial ditch and a bank surmounted by a timber palisade or, rarely, a
stone wall. Occasionally a more lightly defended embanked enclosure, the
bailey, adjoined the ringwork. Ringworks acted as strongholds for military
operations and in some cases as defended aristocratic or manorial settlements.
They are rare nationally with only 200 recorded examples and less than 60
with baileys. As such, and as one of a limited number and very restricted
range of Anglo-Saxon and Norman fortifications, ringworks are of particular
significance to our understanding of the period.

Despite the disturbance caused by excavation and wartime digging, the monument
survives well and retains considerable archaeological potential. It is one of
only a dozen known examples in the South-East.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Toms, H S, Sussex Archaeological Collections, (1922)
Other
Leach,P.E., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Ringworks, (1988)
TQ 41 SW 5,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.