Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Simonburn Castle tower house

A Scheduled Monument in Simonburn, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0579 / 55°3'28"N

Longitude: -2.2164 / 2°12'59"W

OS Eastings: 386272.639952

OS Northings: 573738.850311

OS Grid: NY862737

Mapcode National: GBR D9YY.YN

Mapcode Global: WHB1X.X4QB

Entry Name: Simonburn Castle tower house

Scheduled Date: 30 April 1934

Last Amended: 3 October 1994

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1012414

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21047

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Simonburn

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Simonburn

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Details

Simonburn Castle stands on a steep promontory formed by the confluence of two
deeply incised streams. Although it was repaired in the 18th century and the
upper storeys have now collapsed, it includes the remains of an original
solitary tower house of 13th century date. The tower, built of small
squared ashlar blocks is roughly square in shape measuring 10.5m. Only the
ground floor basement of the tower stands today, covered by a plain
semicircular barrel vault. Although the basement has become infilled with
rubble and masonry from the collapsed upper storey a small window in the south
east side is visible. There is a door in the north west wall giving access to
a mural chamber which is thought to have housed the foot of a flight of stairs
giving access to the upper storey. Also, on the north west side, are the
remains of a square projecting turret. The remains of a stone wall rib
indicate that the ground floor of the turret was covered by a plain vaulted
roof. A door with a pointed arch opens from the turret giving rise to the
suggestion that the turret served as an entrance porch to the main tower. The
original 13th century tower fell into decay during the 16th century and
was almost certainly in ruins by the end of that century. In the second half
of the 18th century it was repaired by the Allgood family and the upper end of
the north east wall was rebuilt. As late as 1940 this wall at least was still
standing to a height of 1.8m. Simonburn Castle is a Grade II Listed Building.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Tower houses are a type of defensible house particularly characteristic of the
borderlands of England and Scotland. Virtually every parish had at least one
of these buildings. Solitary tower houses comprise a single square or
rectangular `keep' several storeys high, with strong barrel-vaults tying
together massive outer walls. Many towers had stone slab roofs, often with a
parapet walk. Access could be gained through a ground floor entrance or at
first floor level where a doorway would lead directly to a first floor hall.
Solitary towers were normally accompanied by a small outer enclosure defined
by a timber or stone wall and called a barmkin. Tower houses were being
constructed and used from at least the 13th century to the end of the 16th
century. They provided prestigious defended houses permanently occupied by
the wealthier and aristocratic members of society. As such, they were
important centres of medieval life. The need for such secure buildings
relates to the unsettled and frequently war-like conditions which prevailed in
the Borders throughout much of the medieval period. Around 200 examples of
tower houses have been identified of which less than half are of the free-
standing or solitary tower type. All surviving solitary towers retaining
significant medieval remains will normally be identified as nationally
important.

Despite the fact that the tower house at Simonburn is now a ruined structure,
significant archaeological remains survive above and below ground level. The
structure and layout of the 13th century tower house and any earlier phases of
building survive beneath the subsequent collapse of the upper parts of the
tower.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Hope-Dodds, M, The Victoria History of the County of Northumberland: Volume XV, (1940), 386
Hunter Blair, C H, 'Archaeologia Aeliana 4 ser 22' in Archaeologia Aeliana 4 ser 22, (1944), 166-8
Other
NY 87 SE 20,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.