Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thundridgebury moated enclosure and associated remains of Thundridgebury House, St Mary and All Saints' Church and graveyard, Thundridge

A Scheduled Monument in Thundridge, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8382 / 51°50'17"N

Longitude: -0.0157 / 0°0'56"W

OS Eastings: 536809.83978

OS Northings: 217374.481862

OS Grid: TL368173

Mapcode National: GBR KB7.NW1

Mapcode Global: VHGPH.P224

Entry Name: Thundridgebury moated enclosure and associated remains of Thundridgebury House, St Mary and All Saints' Church and graveyard, Thundridge

Scheduled Date: 17 October 1990

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1012268

English Heritage Legacy ID: 11560

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Thundridge

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Details

The monument includes a Medieval moated enclosure and associated remains
of Thundridgebury House and St. Mary and All Saints' Church and
graveyard. The moated enclosure is "D" shaped with external dimensions
of approximately 195m north-south by 200m east-west. The surrounding dry
moat varies in width between 7m and 20m, but part of the southern arm
and the south-east corner is obscured. Three causewayed breaks in the
northern arm of the moat are thought to be modern. The interior of the
enclosure contains the ruined remains of Thundridgebury House, believed
to date from the 16th century. A series of brick foundations indicate
the location of the house and outbuildings which were demolished in
1811. Immediately to the south of the house are the remains of St. Mary
and All Saints' Church. The upstanding remains of the 15th century
church tower, a grade II* listed building, are excluded from the
scheduling, but the ground beneath is included, as are the remains of
the adjacent church. The church itself measures some 25m by 12m and is
marked out by a series of 0.20m high foundations and wall lines. The
church was demolished in 1853. It is surrounded by a disused graveyard
defined by an iron fence to the west and brick wall on the other three
sides. The graveyard, (now "closed") measures some 60m north-south by
40m east-west and contains numerous gravepits, many marked with stone
headstones. Some of the graves are thought likely to date to the
Medieval period, with further Medieval deposits preserved in the
intervening areas. To the west of the church an irregular series of low
earthworks are thought to be the remains of cultivation plots located
within the moated enclosure.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated enclosure is unusual for its extensive size, covering up to
2.8ha, and for the range of features it surrounds, involving the
manorial complex which includes the remains of Thundridegebury House and
St. Mary and All Saints' Church and graveyard.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
A.S.P., Ordnance Survey Records, (1971)
Smith, F, (1951)
SMR Records, (1987)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.