Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site south of Rectory Road, 170m east of St Peter's Church

A Scheduled Monument in Sible Hedingham, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9792 / 51°58'45"N

Longitude: 0.5875 / 0°35'14"E

OS Eastings: 577801.222704

OS Northings: 234353.610146

OS Grid: TL778343

Mapcode National: GBR PGL.Z71

Mapcode Global: VHJHZ.4JF3

Entry Name: Moated site south of Rectory Road, 170m east of St Peter's Church

Scheduled Date: 28 October 1958

Last Amended: 27 January 1994

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1011475

English Heritage Legacy ID: 20730

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Sible Hedingham

Built-Up Area: Sible Hedingham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Sible Hedingham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Details

The monument south of Rectory Road includes a rectangular moated site situated
on an east-facing slope overlooking the River Colne, 170m east of St Peter's
Church, Sible Hedingham. The moated site measures 70m NE-SW by 50m NW-SE. The
moat arms are dry and are 15m wide and 2.9m deep. The island is raised about
1m from the surrounding ground level and is considered to have been used as a
garden or orchard.
The aviary building is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath it is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site south of Rectory Road is well preserved and will retain
archaeological information relating to its construction and use.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
NAR NO: TL 73 SE 19, Information From the National Archaeological Record,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.