Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site, Newton

A Scheduled Monument in Newton and Haceby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9117 / 52°54'42"N

Longitude: -0.4419 / 0°26'30"W

OS Eastings: 504876.082501

OS Northings: 336052.712967

OS Grid: TF048360

Mapcode National: GBR FRQ.H3N

Mapcode Global: WHGKS.52VN

Entry Name: Moated site, Newton

Scheduled Date: 18 July 1995

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1010707

English Heritage Legacy ID: 22625

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Newton and Haceby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: South Lafford

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Details

The monument includes a moated site located approximately 70m south of Moat
Farm in the south eastern part of the village of Newton. The site is
associated with one of four manors which existed in Newton during the Middle
Ages. In the post-medieval period it lay within the grounds of a large manor
house, now destroyed, which was built by the Saviles in the late 16th century
and fell into ruin in the 18th century. The remains include the earthworks of
a rectangular moat, linked on the south to the headland of a medieval field
containing traces of ridge-and-furrow cultivation, with a linear pond adjacent
to the west. The remains of the medieval period are partly overlain by those
of a post-medieval garden.

The monument is situated in an area of pasture on a gentle north facing slope
overlooking the eastern end of the village. The moated platform is roughly
square in shape, measuring approximately 23m x 23m. It is occupied by a
conical mound which rises to a height of about 5m above the level of the moat
and terminates in a small oval platform approximately 4m x 6m. The moat
varies in width between 6m and 8m and is water-filled on the lower, northern,
side. There is an external bank on each of the north, east and south sides of
the moat; that on the south is broad and flat, measuring approximately 6m in
width, while those on the east and north sides are narrower and slope away
gradually to the level of the adjacent field. Both the mound and the banks on
the south and east sides are planted with large trees and mature hawthorns.
The north western corner of the moat protrudes slightly outwards and drains
into a narrow linear channel. The north eastern corner also extends outwards
to form a shallow pool; adjacent to the north is a low, roughly circular bank
with a gap in the western side. The moat, and the rectangular platform which
it surrounds, are believed to be medieval in origin, representing the site of
part of one of the manors established in the village in the 11th century. The
conical mound which now occupies the platform is post-medieval in date,
representing the remains of a Chinese-style garden created on the site in the
18th century. The mound was formerly circled by a spiral pathway leading up
to a small summerhouse which occupied the oval platform at the top of the
mound. The moat was also re-dug at this time and the external banks altered.
The planting of the mound and two of the banks, and the enlargement of the
north western and north eastern corners of the moat with associated
earthworks, are also related to the use of the site as a post-medieval garden.

The moat is fed by a linear channel, approximately 5m in width, which runs
into its south eastern corner. This channel is linked on the south to a
field boundary represented by a shallow east-west depression, and thence to
the adjacent headland of a medieval field which includes the remains of
ridge-and-furrow cultivation. The ridges run roughly north to south and are
about 9m wide and 0.5m high, terminating in pear-shaped mounds about 0.7m
high. The headland represents the edge of one of the open fields which
surrounded the village in medieval times, at the point where it adjoined the
enclosed land of the manor. The moat was thus fed by rainwater running down
the furrows in the direction of the slope.

To the west of the moat is an irregular water-filled pond, approximately 30m x
10m and 1.5m deep, aligned roughly east-west at a distance of 5m from the
southern arm of the moat. This pond is believed to have formed part of the
post-medieval garden. On the western side of the moat is the site of a
Chinese-style bridge which formerly crossed over to the moated mound. The
adaptation of the medieval remains to form a garden, including the planting of
the southern and eastern sides of the site, can thus be seen to have centred
upon an approach and view from the north west where the former manor house
lay.

All fences are excluded from the scheduling; the ground beneath them is,
however, included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The remains of the medieval moated site at Newton survive as a series of
earthworks and buried deposits which form an integral part of the medieval
landscape, including a contemporary field system to which they are directly
related. The moated site is also associated with post-medieval land-use, in
particular the remains of an unusual ornamental garden of the 18th century
which overlies it. The site has never been excavated, and archaeological
deposits of both the medieval and post-medieval periods are likely to survive
intact; water-logging in the area of the moat will preserve organic material
such as timber, leather and food remains, which provide an insight into
economic and social activity on the site. The understanding of the site has
been enhanced by historical documentation and research.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Cave, L, Parish Story, (1987)
Marrat, W, History of Lincolnshire, (1816), 172-3
Other
Healey, RH and Roffe, DR, Some medieval and later earthworks in South Lincolnshire, 1989, unpublished manuscript
Healey, RH and Roffe, DR, Some medieval and later earthworks in South Lincolnshire, 1989, unpublished manuscript
Lincolnshire Archives, Anc. 6/C/1, (1720)
Title: Kesteven Award 56 (1769) - Inclosure Plan
Source Date: 1768
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
Lincolnshire Archives

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.