Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Place House moat and fishpond

A Scheduled Monument in Cogenhoe and Whiston, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2371 / 52°14'13"N

Longitude: -0.7598 / 0°45'35"W

OS Eastings: 484788.183693

OS Northings: 260604.352087

OS Grid: SP847606

Mapcode National: GBR CXS.LRT

Mapcode Global: VHDS7.S16C

Entry Name: Place House moat and fishpond

Scheduled Date: 18 February 1992

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1009513

English Heritage Legacy ID: 13656

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Cogenhoe and Whiston

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Whiston St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Details

The site of Place House lies to the west of the village of Whiston in the
parish of Cogenhoe and is located in the bottom of a steep sided valley which
drains into the River Nene.
The monument consists of a moated site and an associated fishpond. The moat
lies in the south of the site and has an island approximately 35m square,
which is surrounded on the west, east and south sides by a partially
waterlogged ditch about 2m deep and 8m to 10m wide. On the north side the
ditch has been filled in and the moat island is very overgrown. To the north
west of the moat lies a large L-shaped fishpond approximately 110m long, which
has retaining banks on the north west and north east sides up to 2m high.
Water for the pond and moated system was supplied by the stream which runs
along the western edge of the site.
Adjacent to the large pond, on a small square platform on its eastern side,
stands the existing building of Place House, also known as Moat Cottage. This
is a Grade II listed building, of 16th century date with 20th century
additions. The structure incorporates 14th century material from an earlier
building which was constructed after the original moated house had been
abandoned. The manor of the village is known to have been held by the Abbey
of Ramsey from the late 10th century until 1554, and was occupied by a series
of tenants throughout this time. The moat is considered to have been
constructed in the late 12th or early 13th century when the de Whiston family
lived at the manor house.
Place House and its outbuildings and all made up roadways and pathways on the
site are excluded from the scheduling, but the ground beneath these features
is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The monument at Place House is a high status manorial moated site with well
documented historical connections with the influential Northamptonshire branch
of the de Whiston family. It survives in good condition and presents a
typical example of a combined moated site and fishpond. The moat retains
considerable potential for the preservation of remains of the various
buildings known to have occupied the central island.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments of England, , Archaeological Site of Northamptonshire, Volume II, (1979), 19-21

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.