Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Helions moated site

A Scheduled Monument in Helions Bumpstead, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0452 / 52°2'42"N

Longitude: 0.3982 / 0°23'53"E

OS Eastings: 564562.562327

OS Northings: 241253.58108

OS Grid: TL645412

Mapcode National: GBR ND7.RH4

Mapcode Global: VHJHG.VVDH

Entry Name: Helions moated site

Scheduled Date: 23 October 1998

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1008210

English Heritage Legacy ID: 20742

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Helions Bumpstead

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Helions Bumpstead St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Details

The monument includes a rectangular or slightly `D'-shaped moated site,
situated on high ground 750m south west of Helions Bumpstead church, known as
`Helions' and identified with the medieval manor of that name.
The island is slightly raised above the level of its immediate surroundings
and measures some 70m from north west-south east by 60m transversely. West of
centre, approached from the north side by a late 18th century bridge, stands a
mid-19th century farmhouse and outbuildings built to replace an earlier manor
house which was destroyed by fire around 1825.
The southern half of the surrounding ditch has been largely infilled,
reportedly in order to alleviate the then occupant's rheumatism in the late
19th century. However, it can still be traced as a slight depression for most
of its length (where it varies between 10m and 13m in width), and the complete
circuit is recorded on the 1841 tithe award map. The northern arm and the
northern halves of the two side arms remain open and water-filled, supplied by
underground springs and draining from the north eastern corner. The depth of
this section is thought to be greater than 2m and the base may, according to
the report of a previous owner, be lined with clunch (soft limestone). The
narrow bridge to the north (the only visible feature surviving from the
earlier manor house) appears to have provided the sole access to the island
until about 1870, after which the rear section of the moat was infilled. There
is a slight bank or causeway through the southern arm which has been
considered to represent a further approach; its position (facing away from the
village), however, and its relationship to the infilled ditch suggest that it
more probably originated as a feature of the garden. A small conical mound in
the north eastern corner of the island is similarly thought to have been
created as a garden feature, perhaps using material dredged from the open
section of the moat.
The manor of Helions, mentioned in Domesday Book, is thought to derive its
name from Tihel the Breton, a follower of William I, who acquired estates in
the area after the Norman Conquest. In the reign of Henry II (AD1100-1135) the
manor was held of the Barony of Helion, established by Robert de Helion, and
thereafter retained by the Helion (or Helyun) family until the last male heir
died in 1449. Anne Tyrell, granddaughter of John Heylon (the last of the male
line), married Sir Roger Wentworth in the late 15th century and in 1501 he
established part claim to the manor through his wife. The estate was not
mentioned, however, in the Inquisition which followed her death in 1534, and
it later came by unknown means into the hands of the Crown. In 1553 Edward VI
granted the manor, together with other properties in the area, to the Mayor,
Commonalty and Citizens of London. By the mid-18th century ownership had been
transferred to the governors of St Thomas' Hospital in Southwark, remaining
under their control (with various tenants) until the farm passed into private
ownership in the early 20th century.
The bridge, all standing buildings and walls, all fences and the surfaces of
the driveway, paths and yards, together with all other modern fixtures and
fittings, are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these
features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Helions moated site is well preserved and will contain significant
archaeological information related to its construction in the medieval period,
and for the long duration of occupation which is suggested by the extensive
collection of documentary sources relating to the Helions family. The
waterlogged silts within the ditch, especially those buried within the
infilled sections, will retain environmental evidence for the appearance of
the landscape in which the moated site was set and for the development of
agricultural activity associated with the former manor. Evidence regarding
earlier structures on the island (including the manor house destroyed by fire
in the early 19th century) is expected to survive in the form of buried
features. Artefacts preserved in association with these features, as in the
silts of the surrounding ditch, will provide valuable insights into the
duration and status of the settlement and the lifestyles of its inhabitants.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Morant, P, History and Antiquities of Essex Volume II , (1978)
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory - Essex, (1882)
Charge, B B, 'Journal of Haverhill and District Arch Soc.' in Survey of Moated Sites, , Vol. Vol 3, (1984)
Other
Essex SMR, Layland, P R, Essex: moated site survey, Moated Sites Research Group survey sheets, (1980)
Laurie, RM, Discussion about water supply and drainage, (1997)
Title: Tithe Award Map - Helions Bumpstead
Source Date: 1841
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
Essex Record Office: D/CT 58B

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.