Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Canfield Castle and associated moated enclosure

A Scheduled Monument in Great Canfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8369 / 51°50'12"N

Longitude: 0.3128 / 0°18'46"E

OS Eastings: 559443.158747

OS Northings: 217890.089437

OS Grid: TL594178

Mapcode National: GBR NGN.V6K

Mapcode Global: VHHM4.C3Q6

Entry Name: Canfield Castle and associated moated enclosure

Scheduled Date: 10 August 1923

Last Amended: 8 December 1993

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1007821

English Heritage Legacy ID: 20704

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Great Canfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Canfield St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Details

The monument includes a motte and bailey castle and an associated moated
enclosure situated on low ground, close to the River Roding, adjacent to Great
Canfield church. The motte survives as a flat topped mound 14.5m high, 85.5m
in diameter at the base and 18m in diameter at the top. There is a distinct
berm 3m wide on the mound but it does not run symmetrically around the slope.
On the summit is a small mound 10m in diameter and about 1m high. The motte
is surrounded by a moat which is between 10m and 20m wide and has a maximum
depth of 4m. It is only water-filled along the eastern side, where it is
occupied by the stream. There is no access to the motte across the surrounding
ditch. South of the motte is a horseshoe-shaped bailey, measuring 80m north-
south by 82m east-west, and enclosed by the remains of a substantial double
rampart and ditch. The inner rampart is up to 25m wide and 3m high; the ditch
is partly water-filled, 3m deep and measures a maximum of 30m from the crests
of the two ramparts. The outer rampart is best preserved on the eastern side
and measures 15m wide and 1.5m high. The outer ditch is only visible as a
slight undulation in the field to the east of the monument. A causeway 6m wide
at the north-eastern corner of the bailey gives access to the monument.
Another enclosure, contiguous to the motte and bailey surrounding the present
hall (which is a Listed Building Grade II), is represented by the ditch along
the churchyard wall. The large pond south-west of The Hall and a linear hollow
running from the pond to the bailey, are considered to be a homestead moat.
Foundations of an earlier house are believed to exist on the island. A third
enclosure, represented by the ditch to the north of the church, once enclosed
the church and churchyard as part of the castle complex. The third enclosure
containing the churchyard is, however, still in use and is therefore not
included in the scheduling.
A fishpond which is visible as a shallow hollow 25m NE-SW by 10m NW-SE and
c.0.4m deep is situated within the moated site.
In 1086 Aubrey de Vere held two hides as tenant-in-chief and two and a half
hides as tenant of Alan of Brittany. The castle is known to have been held by
the de Veres for many years.
The house, driveway, greenhouses and outhouses, which occupy the western part
of the site, are all excluded from the scheduling though the ground beneath
all these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Motte and bailey castles are medieval fortifications introduced into Britain
by the Normans. They comprised a large conical mound of earth or rubble, the
motte, surmounted by a palisade and a stone or timber tower. In a majority of
examples an embanked enclosure containing additional buildings, the bailey,
adjoined the motte. Motte castles and motte-and-bailey castles acted as
garrison forts during offensive military operations, as strongholds, and, in
many cases, as aristocratic residences and as centres of local or royal
administration. Built in towns, villages and open countryside, motte and
bailey castles generally occupied strategic positions dominating their
immediate locality and, as a result, are the most visually impressive
monuments of the early post-Conquest period surviving in the modern landscape.
Over 600 motte castles or motte-and-bailey castles are recorded nationally,
with examples known from most regions. As one of a restricted range of
recognised early post-Conquest monuments, they are particularly important for
the study of Norman Britain and the development of the feudal system. Although
many were occupied for only a short period of time, motte castles continued to
be built and occupied from the 11th to the 13th centuries, after which they
were superseded by other types of castle.

Canfield Castle remains essentially undisturbed and is a fine example of a
motte and bailey castle with several associated enclosures. It will retain
archaeological information relating to the occupation and development of the
monument and environmental evidence for the economy of its inhabitants and the
landscape in which they lived. The castle has a documented history dating
from the 11th century.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County, (1903)
The Victoria History of the County, (1926)
Gould, I C, The Victoria History of the County, (1908)
Other
070250, Information from SMR,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.