Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Reaveley Hill settlement

A Scheduled Monument in Ingram, Northumberland

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4491 / 55°26'56"N

Longitude: -2.0037 / 2°0'13"W

OS Eastings: 399866.187021

OS Northings: 617249.847286

OS Grid: NT998172

Mapcode National: GBR G5GF.0G

Mapcode Global: WHB03.694G

Entry Name: Reaveley Hill settlement

Scheduled Date: 17 January 1969

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1006468

English Heritage Legacy ID: ND 467

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Ingram

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Ingram St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Summary

Two enclosed settlements and shieling, 637m north west of Ewe Hill.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 31 May 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes the remains of two enclosed settlements of Romano-British date, a group of unenclosed hut circles and a medieval shieling situated on a south east facing slope between Knock Hill and Reaveley Hill overlooking the Breamish valley to the south. The first and most north easterly enclosure (NT9989 1728) is ‘scooped’ slightly into the hill side and is sub-triangular in shape. It is enclosed by a single bank of stone and earth measuring up to 2.6 in width and 1m in height with an entrance on the east down slope side. Within the interior of the enclosure there are at least six hut circles with diameters varying from 3.4m to 5.8m and walls approximately 2.7m thick and 0.5m high. The interior of the enclosure is divided into a number of compartments by a low stone and earth bank. Lying to the south west of this enclosure there is a second irregularly-shaped enclosure (NT9985 1726) within a bank formed from large stone blocks standing to a height of up to 1m. This enclosure is partly overlaid by a post-medieval sheep stell. On the east side of the main enclosure is an annexe surrounded by a stone bank 2m wide and 0.4m high. The interior of the enclosure is divided into compartments by low stone and earth banks and contains at least five hut circles. The hut circles vary in diameter from 3.9m to 5.4m. Located south west of the central enclosure is a group of at least five unenclosed hut circles (NT9984 1723), which vary in diameter from 3.8m to 5m. To the south of the central enclosure is a double enclosure consisting of two enclosure set together to form an L-shape. The upper enclosure is 7.6m long and the lower enclosure is 13.4m long and both are surrounded by low walls 0.6m high. The structures are interpreted as the remains of a medieval shieling.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

In Cumbria and Northumberland several distinctive types of native settlements dating to the Roman period have been identified. The majority were small, non- defensive, enclosed homesteads or farms. In much of Northumberland, especially in the Cheviots, the enclosures were curvilinear in form. Further south a rectangular form was more common. Elsewhere, especially near the Scottish border, another type occurs where the settlement enclosure was `scooped' into the hillslope. The standard layout included one or more stone round-houses situated towards the rear of the enclosure, facing the single entranceway. Homesteads normally had only one or two houses, but larger enclosures could contain as many as six. These homesteads were being constructed and used by non-Roman natives throughout the period of the Roman occupation. Their origins lie in settlement forms developed before the arrival of the Romans. These homesteads are common throughout the uplands where they frequently survive as well-preserved earthworks. All homestead sites which survive substantially intact will normally be identified as nationally important.

The enclosed settlements north west of Ewe Hill are well-preserved and good examples of their type. The presence of a medieval shieling in such close proximity to the earlier homesteads provides insight into continuity and change in the character of settlement between the medieval and Romano-British periods. The monument is an integral part of a rich archaeological landscape with abundant evidence of Iron Age and Romano-British settlement. The presence of upstanding structural remains indicates that the monument will contain archaeological deposits relating to its construction, use and abandonment.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:- 2043 (enclosure), 1034383 (enclosure), 1034385 (shieling), 1034384 (hut circles)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.