Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Browne's Gate

A Scheduled Monument in Wells, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2101 / 51°12'36"N

Longitude: -2.6464 / 2°38'46"W

OS Eastings: 354942.996546

OS Northings: 145854.163947

OS Grid: ST549458

Mapcode National: GBR MN.43C4

Mapcode Global: VH89S.2VT6

Entry Name: Browne's Gate

Scheduled Date: 23 April 1951

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1006198

English Heritage Legacy ID: SO 233

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Wells

Built-Up Area: Wells

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Summary

Medieval gatehouse called Browne’s Gate.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 4 August 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument includes a medieval gatehouse situated on the north west corner of Wells Cathedral Green. The gatehouse survives as a roofed stone two storey building standing to full height with a wide arched gateway and pedestrian arches at the ground floor and a single room above. On the western face the ground floor has carved tablet decoration, a blocked central three light mullioned window to the room on the upper floor, an arched statue niche and a parapet. The east elevation is simpler with a battlemented parapet and a first floor central three light mullioned window. The north face is a plain gable with some putlog holes and an arched window. There is a flat roofed abutment containing the arched pedestrian access. The main archway has a ribbed vault with a central boss. The roof is of slate and there is a single chimney. Built in 1451 by Bishop Beckynton, the gatehouse takes its name from Richard Brown who was the tenant in 1553 of the adjoining property. In the 19th century it was also referred to as ‘The Dean’s Eye’. It originally cost 200 marks to build. The gatehouse is Listed Grade I.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The medieval gatehouse called Browne’s Gate survives well and retains many of its original features. It was built as part of a wider scheme surrounding the Cathedral Green of Wells Cathedral and indicates the importance of the church to all aspects of daily life during this period and is indicative of the wealth of the Cathedral.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:-197005

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.