Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Two large circular enclosures centring 150m south east of Baggaley's Wood

A Scheduled Monument in Wychnor, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7487 / 52°44'55"N

Longitude: -1.7445 / 1°44'40"W

OS Eastings: 417345.496679

OS Northings: 316812.748535

OS Grid: SK173168

Mapcode National: GBR 4CZ.PRH

Mapcode Global: WHCGJ.55KN

Entry Name: Two large circular enclosures centring 150m SE of Baggaley's Wood

Scheduled Date: 4 April 1973

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1006096

English Heritage Legacy ID: ST 213

County: Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Wychnor

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Wychnor St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Summary

Prehistoric enclosures and field systems 400m north west of Hill cottages.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 7 July 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes the buried remains of two enclosures situated just over 2km north west of the confluence of the rivers Trent and Tame. A subcircular enclosure with an external diameter of up to 35m has been identified as a cropmark from aerial photography, defined by a single ditch and is centred at SK 1735 1668. The date of the monument has not been confirmed however it is likely to belong to the prehistoric period. Another cropmark has been identified as a linear feature defined by a single ditch running for a length of 140m centred at SK 1738 1691, and may form part of a prehistoric enclosure. Further cropmarks have been identified within the area of protection which may relate to later field systems and enclosures.

The river valleys of the Trent and Tame are known to have been an area of activity during the prehistoric period and north of the confluence of the two rivers appears to have been a focus for the development of a late Neolithic and early Bronze Age ceremonial landscape. Later land divisions, enclosures, settlement, field systems continued in the area mostly of an agrarian existence into the post-medieval period which characterises much of the area still today.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The prehistoric enclosures 400m north west of Hill Cottages survive as buried archaeological remains which will provide important information relating to the monument’s date, function and use.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
HER: DST5595, NMR: SK11NE25, Pastscape: 21735, NMR SK11NE91, Pastscape: 929412 and NMR SK11NE122, Pastscape: 929445

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.