Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crowdown Clump earthwork (Godsbury)

A Scheduled Monument in Burbage, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3185 / 51°19'6"N

Longitude: -1.689 / 1°41'20"W

OS Eastings: 421767.631608

OS Northings: 157753.890429

OS Grid: SU217577

Mapcode National: GBR 4YG.CSL

Mapcode Global: VHC28.N4Y2

Entry Name: Crowdown Clump earthwork (Godsbury)

Scheduled Date: 8 August 1957

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1004759

English Heritage Legacy ID: WI 532

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Burbage

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Summary

Defensive enclosure called Godsbury.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 24 September 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument includes a defensive enclosure situated on the summit of a prominent ridge with commanding views across the valley of the River Bourne and within an area of woodland called Crowdown Clump. The enclosure survives as an oval area measuring approximately 93m long by 63m wide internally defined by a single rampart bank standing 0.5m high internally surrounded by a largely buried ditch which has created a scarp of up to 1.2m high on the outer side. The enclosure was documented as ‘Guthredesburg’ in a Saxon charter of 921 AD and called ‘Gosbury’ by 1773.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

During the mid-prehistoric period (seventh to fifth centuries BC) a variety of different types of defensive structures began to be constructed and occupied .The most obvious sites were hillforts built in prominent locations. In addition to these a range of smaller sites, sometimes with an enclosed area of less than 1ha and defined as defended settlements, were also constructed. Some of these were located on hilltops, others are found in less prominent positions. The enclosing defences were of earthen construction, some sites having a single bank and ditch (univallate), others having more than one (multivallate). At some sites these earthen ramparts represent a second phase of defence, the first having been a timber fence or palisade. Within the enclosure stone or timber-built round houses may have been constructed either for human habitation or to protect livestock. The communities occupying these sites were probably single family groups, the defended enclosures were being used as farmsteads. Construction and use of this type of site extended over several centuries, possibly through to the early Romano-British period (mid to late first century AD). Despite tree growth and some cultivation to the north the defensive enclosure called Godsbury survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, function, longevity, agricultural practices, territorial and economic significance and overall landscape context.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape224259
Wiltshire HER SU25NW615

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.