Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cewydd's Stone, Six Acre Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Lynton and Lynmouth, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2186 / 51°13'6"N

Longitude: -3.8619 / 3°51'42"W

OS Eastings: 270063.378931

OS Northings: 148243.82518

OS Grid: SS700482

Mapcode National: GBR L0.3FGW

Mapcode Global: VH4M9.0MQQ

Entry Name: Cewydd's Stone, Six Acre Farm

Scheduled Date: 10 August 1923

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1003883

English Heritage Legacy ID: DV 41

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Lynton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Summary

Early Christian memorial stone 20m south east of Sixacre Farm House.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 21 October 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument includes an early Christian memorial stone known as Cewydd’s or Cavudus Stone, which is situated within the garden of the farmhouse at Sixacre Farm on the eastern side of the valley of an unnamed river leading to Lee Bay. The single stone slab measures up to 1.3m high. It is inscribed in Roman capitals ‘CAVVDI FILIUS CIVILI’. It has hanging holes for a gate at the top and bottom. It is a memorial stone dating to the fifth or sixth century. It was found nearby being used as a gatepost on the roadside between Lynton and Martinhoe and was placed in its present position in 1913.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Early Christian memorial stones are inscribed freestanding stones commemorating named individuals and dating to the early medieval period (AD 400-1100). The stones are erect, roughly dressed or undressed slabs, bearing incised inscriptions, usually set in one or more vertical lines down one face. The texts are usually in Latin and may be inscribed in a script of Romanised capitals. Most inscriptions are simple, bearing a personal name and often stating a family relationship, such as `filii' (son of), to another personal name. Early Christian memorial stones are largely restricted to those areas that retained Celtic traditions during the early medieval period, thus in England they are almost entirely confined to the Southwest. They are important for our understanding of the social organisation and the development of literacy and Christianity during the early medieval period.

The inscribed stone known as Cewydd’s or Cavudus Stone, despite having been moved to its present location in 1913, is a rare surviving example of its type.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:- 35156

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.