Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cromwell's Arch and adjacent arch

A Scheduled Monument in Bovey Tracey, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5941 / 50°35'38"N

Longitude: -3.6755 / 3°40'31"W

OS Eastings: 281505.349071

OS Northings: 78495.111421

OS Grid: SX815784

Mapcode National: GBR QM.GWZR

Mapcode Global: FRA 375H.KXC

Entry Name: Cromwell's Arch and adjacent arch

Scheduled Date: 23 January 1948

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1003831

English Heritage Legacy ID: DV 213

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Bovey Tracey

Built-Up Area: Bovey Tracey

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bovey Tracey St Peter, St Paul and St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Summary

Two medieval arches at the eastern end of Abbey Road, Bovey Tracey.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 3 November 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument, which falls into two areas, includes two medieval arches situated at the eastern end of Abbey Road in Bovey Tracey. The eastern arch survives as a high, wide pointed arch up to 2.6m high and 2.6m wide made from moulded granite. The west face has a rebate for a door and holes for a latch and there is a single hinge pin on the southern side. The western arch is of similar construction and measures up 2.1m high and 1.4m wide and has no evidence for hinges or fastenings. It forms the entrance to a graveyard. Both arches date to the 15th century. The smaller arch bears an inscription of 1823 which probably relates to its re-erection. Both arches are the remnants of a religious foundation on this site which may have been part of Indio Priory connected with St John’s Hospital at Bridgwater. The original chapel was demolished in 1822 when the present Baptist Chapel was built.

Both arches are Listed Grade II.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The arches in Abbey Road, Bovey Tracey are probably the only remains of an ecclesiastical institution which had been established here during the medieval period. Such institutions were suppressed in 1539 as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, although some smaller institutions did survive until 1547 when they were dissolved by Edward VI. The Priory which existed here possibly had links to a hospital.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:- 446859

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.