Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel west of Manor Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Stourton Caundle, Dorset

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9331 / 50°55'59"N

Longitude: -2.4094 / 2°24'33"W

OS Eastings: 371328.837588

OS Northings: 114928.751148

OS Grid: ST713149

Mapcode National: GBR MZ.PHDT

Mapcode Global: FRA 56VM.TDM

Entry Name: Chapel W of Manor Farm

Scheduled Date: 3 January 1961

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1002857

English Heritage Legacy ID: DO 476

County: Dorset

Civil Parish: Stourton Caundle

Built-Up Area: Stourton Caundle

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Stourton Caundle St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Summary

Medieval chapel 100m west of Manor Farm.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 28 January 2016. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes a medieval chapel situated on the western side of the settlement of Stourton Caundle on the southern bank of a tributary to the Caundle Brook. The chapel survives as a small rectangular roofed building standing to full height which has been subject to some restoration. The 13th century nave stands as a gabled building beneath a restored part stone-slated and part tiled roof. The south face has a single lancet window and a 19th century door; the north face has a single lancet window with a trefoil arch and an arched doorway; part of the south wall, the east wall and the roof were restored in the 19th century. Within the interior on the northern window and door frames is some graffiti dated to 1694 and 1697. In 1789 Hutchins described it as having a nave and chancel with lancet windows on each side beneath a wagon roof. It is believed to have been built as a private chapel belonging to a manor.

Situated in a farmyard and now in use as a barn, a range of more recent barns and farm buildings have been added to the east and north sides which are not included in the scheduling.

The chapel is Listed Grade II*.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A medieval chapel is a building, usually rectangular, containing a range of furnishings and fittings appropriate for Christian worship in the pre- Reformation period. Chapels were designed for congregational worship and were generally divided into two main parts: the nave, which provided accommodation for the laity, and the chancel, which was the main domain of the priest and contained the principal altar. Around 4000 parochial chapels were built between the 12th and 17th centuries as subsidiary places of worship built for the convenience of parishioners who lived at a distance from the main parish church. Other chapels were built as private places of worship by manorial lords and lie near or within manor houses, castles or other high-status residences. Chapels, like parish churches, have always been major features of the landscape. Abandoned chapels retain important information about the nature and date of their use up to their abandonment.

Despite adaptive re-use the medieval chapel 100m west of Manor Farm survives comparatively well and retains both original features and dated graffiti.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:-202267

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.