Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Gabriel's Church

A Scheduled Monument in Stanton St. Gabriel, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7282 / 50°43'41"N

Longitude: -2.8485 / 2°50'54"W

OS Eastings: 340208.948932

OS Northings: 92408.174342

OS Grid: SY402924

Mapcode National: GBR PL.PQLW

Mapcode Global: FRA 47X5.42D

Entry Name: St Gabriel's Church

Scheduled Date:

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1002821

English Heritage Legacy ID: DO 372

County: Dorset

Civil Parish: Stanton St. Gabriel

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Whitchurch Canonicorum with Stanton St Gabriel and Fishpond St Candida and Holy Cross

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Summary

Medieval chapel called St Gabriel’s Church 120m east of St Gabriel’s House.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 13 January 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument includes a medieval chapel situated on a prominent coastal hill overlooking the sea near St Gabriel’s Mouth and Kitwells Cliff. The chapel survives as a small rectangular roofless single celled building measuring approximately 13m by 4.5m with a 1.5m square projecting southern porch, an intact doorway and part of a window. The walls stand to a height of approximately 3m and the whole has been recently consolidated. The chapel dates back to the 13th century, the porch was added in the 14th century and was mentioned as requiring repairs in 1650, the nave was rebuilt but the exact date is unknown. First mentioned in an Ordinance of Robert, Bishop of Salisbury and dated Christmas Day 1240, it was originally a parish church and later became a chapel-of–ease to Whitchurch Canonicorum and dedicated to St Gabriel. Clearance of the ruined chapel took place in 1960. In the north wall was a roughly rectangular aumbry was found along with two corbel heads, one male and one female and two piscinae. Ralegh-Radford believed one of the piscina dated from 1220–1350 whilst the other was 14th century. Consolidation work was carried out in the 1980s and occasionally church services are still held within the chapel. The chapel is listed Grade II*.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A medieval chapel is a building, usually rectangular, containing a range of furnishings and fittings appropriate for Christian worship in the pre- Reformation period. Chapels were designed for congregational worship and were generally divided into two main parts: the nave, which provided accommodation for the laity, and the chancel, which was the main domain of the priest and contained the principal altar. Around 4000 parochial chapels were built between the 12th and 17th centuries as subsidiary places of worship built for the convenience of parishioners who lived at a distance from the main parish church. Some chapels possessed burial grounds. Unlike parish churches, the majority of which remain in ecclesiastical use, chapels were often abandoned as their communities and supporting finances declined or disappeared. Chapels, like parish churches, have always been major features of the landscape. The sites of abandoned chapels, where positively identified, are particularly worthy of statutory protection as they were often left largely undisturbed and thus retain important information about the nature and date of their use up to their abandonment. Following consolidation the medieval chapel called St Gabriel’s Church 120m east of St Gabriel’s House survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, repair, religious and social significance, abandonment and overall landscape context.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:-450212

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.