Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Conduit Cross

A Scheduled Monument in Sherborne, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9469 / 50°56'48"N

Longitude: -2.5154 / 2°30'55"W

OS Eastings: 363888.063001

OS Northings: 116514.912001

OS Grid: ST638165

Mapcode National: GBR MV.NLJT

Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.V5P

Entry Name: The Conduit Cross

Scheduled Date: 15 October 1924

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1002673

English Heritage Legacy ID: DO 7

County: Dorset

Civil Parish: Sherborne

Built-Up Area: Sherborne

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Summary

Part of Sherborne Abbey cloister known as The Conduit.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 15 December 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument includes part of Sherborne Abbey cloister situated in Cheap Street, Sherborne. The Conduit survives as a freestanding hexagonal building with moulded string and parapet coping, a vaulted roof, buttresses at the angles and original arched door and window openings with some tracery. The decorated vaulted roof has foliate bosses and in the centre is the shield of arms of the abbey supported by angels. Five sides allow access to pedestrians and a modern water fountain is situated on the eastern side. It was built in the northern alley of the abbey cloister by Albert Mere in 1504-35. It was moved to its current position in 1560 and has been subsequently restored. Hutchins in the 19th century described a short cross on its top, which has since been removed. In 1834 it was glazed, a door inserted and it was used as a reading room. For a while it was re-used as a police station and in 1861 as a penny bank.

The Conduit is Listed Grade I.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The part of Sherborne Abbey cloister known as The Conduit survives well and has had several phases of re-use. It serves as an upstanding reminder of the important architecture associated with Sherborne Abbey.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:-887399

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.