Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dagnam Park Farm moated site, Noak Hill, Romford

A Scheduled Monument in Gooshays, Havering

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.6111 / 51°36'40"N

Longitude: 0.2367 / 0°14'11"E

OS Eastings: 554966.209725

OS Northings: 192626.333018

OS Grid: TQ549926

Mapcode National: GBR V5.4BP

Mapcode Global: VHHN2.1RZR

Entry Name: Dagnam Park Farm moated site, Noak Hill, Romford

Scheduled Date: 24 January 1951

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1001988

English Heritage Legacy ID: LO 110

County: Havering

Electoral Ward/Division: Gooshays

Built-Up Area: Havering

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Harold Hill St Paul and Noak Hill, St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford


Medieval moated site in Dagnam Park, 75m north-east of 36 Sedgefield Crescent

Source: Historic England


This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 19 June 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes a medieval moated site situated on gently sloping ground south-east of Hatter’s Wood.

The moated site is sub-rectangular in shape and has slightly rounded corners. It is orientated north-west to south-east and is about 84m long and 78m wide. The moat varies between about 6m and 16m wide. At the centre is a square island or platform, which is about 55m by 55m. On the south-east side is a causeway providing access to the interior.

The moated site is associated with the manor of Cockerels, or Cockerells, and probably encloses the remains of a manor house. In the 13th century, Cockerels formed an adjoining tenement to Dagenham and was held by John of Weald. In 1433, it was held by Henry Percy, Duke of Northumberland, and subsequently passed to his descendants. In 1633, Cockerels House, a substantial gabled building, stood just to the south-east of the moat, which was by that time in use as an orchard. In the 19th century the house became Dagnampark Farm, which was demolished in 1948. The moat appears on OS maps (1:2500) of 1871, 1896 and 1920.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Despite some disturbance in the past, the medieval moated site in Dagnam Park survives well. It will contain archaeological, organic and environmental information relating to the construction, use and history of the site and to the landscape in which it was constructed.

Source: Historic England


'Romford: Manors and other estates' in A History of the County of Essex, Vol 7 (1978), 64-72,, accessed from
Greater London SMR 060126/01/00. NMR TQ59SW13. PastScape 411667,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.