Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baldovie, two stone circles 490m WNW and three monoliths 630m west of

A Scheduled Monument in Kirriemuir and Dean, Angus

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6745 / 56°40'28"N

Longitude: -3.114 / 3°6'50"W

OS Eastings: 331836

OS Northings: 754189

OS Grid: NO318541

Mapcode National: GBR VG.5DMM

Mapcode Global: WH6P5.4HFM

Entry Name: Baldovie, two stone circles 490m WNW and three monoliths 630m W of

Scheduled Date: 18 February 1937

Last Amended: 31 March 2015

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM353

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric ritual and funerary: standing stone

Location: Kingoldrum

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Kirriemuir and Dean

Traditional County: Angus

Description

The monument comprises the remains of two stone circles and three further monoliths, dating probably from the late Neolithic or Bronze Age (late third or second millennium BC). The monument lies on the crest of a NE-SW ridge known as West Schurroch, at approximately 245m above sea level.

The two stone circles are around 42m apart and are each visible today as triangular arrangements of three earthfast orthostats. Antiquarian reports indicate that these were originally four-poster stone circles, but the fourth orthostats have been removed. The surviving orthostats range in size from 0.4m to 1m wide and stand 0.2 to 0.5m high; they are between 2m to 4m apart in their respective groups. An urn was recovered from the easternmost stone circle in the 19th century. The largest of all the monoliths lies about 42m to the WSW and is reported to be the remnant of a third stone circle. It stands 1.4m high, tapering to a point at its top, and is 1m broad and 0.7m thick. Two further monoliths are located some 110m and 150m further to the SW, one of them lying prone. The two stone circles are located in mixed woodland and the three monoliths in pasture.

The scheduled area comprises five separate circles. The westernmost two circles each measure 5m in diameter and the easternmost three circles each measure 15m in diameter. The scheduled area includes the remains described above and an area around them within which evidence relating to the monument's construction, use and abandonment is expected to survive, as shown in red on the accompanying map. The monument was first scheduled in 1937, but the documentation did not meet modern standards: the present amendment rectifies this.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to make a significant addition to our knowledge and understanding of prehistoric ceremony, religion, ritual and burial practices. It comprises a rare group of stone circles and standing stones in close proximity to each other, which survive in reasonably good condition. The archaeological potential of the site as a whole is high, with further artefacts and human burials likely to be present beneath and around the stones. These stone circles are examples of a geographically limited type of monument - the four-poster stone circle - which adds to their importance. The significance of the monument is enhanced by its proximity to other broadly contemporary sites in this part of Strathmore, together forming a relict prehistoric landscape. If this monument was to be lost or damaged, our understanding of the architecture, function and meaning of stone circles in eastern Scotland would be diminished.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Other Information

RCAHMS records the monument as NO35SW 1. The Aberdeenshire Sites and Monuments SMR reference is NO35SW0001.

References

NSA 1834-1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, 15v, Edinburgh, vol 11, 615.

OSA 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, in Sinclair, J (Sir) Edinburgh, vol 9, 134.

Ordnance Survey (Name Book) Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey (6 inch and 1/2500 scale), 54, 41.

RCAHMS 1983, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Central Angus, Angus District, Tayside Region, The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series, no 18, Edinburgh, 25, 193.

Warden, A J 1880-5, Angus or Forfarshire: the land and people, descriptive and historical, 5v, Dundee, vol 4, 28, 30.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.