Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leith Hall, two symbol stones

A Scheduled Monument in Huntly, Strathbogie and Howe of Alford, Aberdeenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.3579 / 57°21'28"N

Longitude: -2.7666 / 2°45'59"W

OS Eastings: 353977

OS Northings: 829974

OS Grid: NJ539299

Mapcode National: GBR M9J8.PB2

Mapcode Global: WH7M5.GBT6

Entry Name: Leith Hall, two symbol stones

Scheduled Date: 8 November 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM8444

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: symbol stone

Location: Kennethmont

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Huntly, Strathbogie and Howe of Alford

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument comprises two symbol stones, known respectively as the Percylieu or Salmon Stone and the Wolf Stone, located in a shelter in the gardens of Leith Hall. Both were originally scheduled in different locations in 1923, and were descheduled subsequently, when moved to Aberdeen. They are now once again at Leith Hall and are being rescheduled in their present location.

The Percylieu Stone is a rectangular slab of whinstone, 0.91m by 0.46m, and bears at the top the 2 fins of a fish, the rest of which has broken away, and below it the horse-shoe symbol ornamented with lines and dots. It was dug up sometime before 1845 in the vicinity of the cairns N of Newbigging.

The Wolf Stone is an irregular seven-sided slab of red granite, measuring 0.64m by 0.38m and 0.18m thick. It is incised on one face with the following representations: at top centre, a rectangle ornamented with curving lines terminating in spirals; below and to the left, a beast with the appearance of a large dog or wolf; and to the right of this a mirror and comb symbol. The stone is believed to have been found c.1842 in trenching work at Newbigging Leslie Farm, 3.6km SW of Insch station.

The monument to be scheduled comprises the two individual stones, in the position indicated in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as representing a pair of well-preserved symbol stones, which contribute to an understanding of the art, material culture and social customs of Scotland in the first millennium AD.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NJ 62 NW 41 and NJ 52 NW 19.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.